Help! Trailer experts? I think I need a new floor.....!

Kis Vihar

Nutty Saddlers !
A while ago I discovered that my trailer floor was not in the best condition. I don't use it for travelling horses at the moment, so decided to do some 'trailer maintenance' today and rolled back the rubber matting on the floor. I thought the floor underneath looked a little 'ropey' and pressed and knocked on it....and made THREE holes in it - I stuck my hand straight through the floor! :eek:

I obviously need to replace my floor! :rolleyes:

Now, remember I live in Hungary....I can't just pop to Homebase!

What do I really need to replace the floor with? Help! :)

Please also bear in mind that I will be doing all the repair myself, so keeping it 'girly' simple would be great !!!! :D;):rolleyes:

Thanks! Look forward to ideas! As many alternatives as possible would be good - buying 'wood' etc here is very hit and miss! :rolleyes:

I'm no expert, but a mechanic by trade, I would try and replace it as similar as possible to how it is now, thats obviously proven it's self already.
I would definatly say use hard wood not soft and leaving small gaps between the planks will allow air to circulate and dry it out (wood won't rot so much so long as it gets a chance to dry) alternatively if you can't get a reliable source of wood you could put a metal base in, I did this on one years ago. I fitted thin metal sheets (for strength) and bolted them in place then put boards over the top (for grip), then drilled drain holes in it to make sure any wee etc could drain out, did the job for ours. I managed to get hold of galvanised metal sheets so they didn't rust, mine were odd shaped but we managed to cobble them together and overlap them to make sure it was strong right across.

Just use common sense and I'm sure you can work out what is and isn't strong enough to hold 1t plus of horse. You'll find once you take the old one out there are various cross members used to support the floor, on the one I did these had almost rusted away in places so we had to weld new ones in place before putting the new floor in.
I'm kinda near thetford, just on the north edge of the forest :D moved here from Herts a few years back and love it :D

I have replaced trailer floors with marine ply and aluminium chequer plate stuff.

The aluminium was lighter.

newrider.com