Help!! What saddle should I get??

meganharman

Sep 11, 2019
I have had a few loans but am not getting my first pony, but need a saddle for her!! She is a 14.1 connie x however at the mo is quite under muscled, and so i need a saddle that i can adjust as she changes shape. I want a jump saddle for sure, was looking at Kent and Masters?? But how do I know if it will fit!?

I have had a few loans but am not getting my first pony, but need a saddle for her!! She is a 14.1 connie x however at the mo is quite under muscled, and so i need a saddle that i can adjust as she changes shape. I want a jump saddle for sure, was looking at Kent and Masters?? But how do I know if it will fit!?
You need to book a saddle fitter to come out with a range of saddles, they will try different ones on her and see which ones fit her and then they will have you ride in the saddles that fit to see which ones fit you the best and usually end up with 1-3 that you can choose from :) I'd try not to get your heart too set on 1 particular make or model just yet as you may well find it doesn't fit and you end up disappointed.

What @Jessey said. Don't be tempted to buy a saddle on eBay or other internet stores, you have no way of knowing whether it will work for your pony either in her current shape or when she has muscled up.

I used to have a 14.1 / 14.2 Connie gelding and he went happily in a Kent & Masters Cob extra wide, but it was one of only a tiny number of saddles that fitted him because of his short back.

As @Jessey and @Jane&Ziggy have said you really do need to get a saddler out. When you ring them tell them the breed, height & condition of your horse, your height and weight and your budget, plus that you think you want a jump saddle - no point in wasting everyone's time if you have a £500 budget and they don't have anything below £2,000.

newrider.com