Help with behaviour

Aandceq

Apr 1, 2020
My 16 year old cobxconie teddy has recently been not letting me mount him. He will not walk to arenas he will throw his head up in the air and spread all his feet out and not move when I get him to the arena he will not walk to the corner were the block is he will spin around and bite and and not move against then if I bring the block to him or get on from the floor he will start spinning again and even if someone holds him he will start walking backwards and as soon as I have one foot in the stirrup he will back up when I get on he will start trotting away . Yesterday I attempted to jump and he was very lazy over a 20cm jump and then knocked it over today I decided I would attempt to jump again and well he refused every jump a was bucking a lot he managed to get me off at about 12 jumps and then I lunged him and he was very aggressive. This is not like his behaviour I have had him 15 years and he normaly is so willing to do anything and it is totally out of character.

Last edited:
Im afraid i would stop riding and get the horse checked by a vet, get the saddle, teeth etc all checked. This does sound rather like a pain response and him trying to evade the pain. My horse refused jumps even silly ones and he turned out to have a back issue.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com