Help with Solo and knowing when

Z

zoeiow

Hi, I am a newbie to this but I would love some advice please. I have been riding in schools since about Aug. I am happy walking and trotting and am slowly getting my canter up together. I share a 18.2h shire x cleveland and she is lovely but I have not ridden her much infact only about 2 weeks. I have been out on hacks in compnay with her twice and she has been fine(except a little spook at the cows). They have now told me at the yard that I will be fine to go out on my own with her. Just want some advice as I am a little nervy but the others ride in the day and I ride in the evenings. They have told me that she does not kick out or buck and she is 100% with traffic. Just want to know the best way to build my confidence and hers. I am due the first one on Thursday. I was thinking that I might just go round the little sand school that they have and then maybe for a quiet WALK up the road for a bit.
Sorry its long but this is kinda worrying me as what happens if she dumps me. Do they just head home?

Sounds like you are doing very well to me. I think the key is just to take it slowly and do things in your own time. Perhaps ride a few times on your own in the school before trying to hack out. Try leading him out on a few little walks in hand before riding him out. Also look at getting someone to come with you on foot when you first hack out solo. Then you can chat to them which will help keep you calm. Your horse may also feel more confident with a 'leader' on foot.
I've never been dumped out hacking but I think most horse do head for home. However, always make sure someone knows where you are and carry a mobile - just in case!

Both your plan and sophie33's sound good to me - your one if you feel a surge of confidence when your in the school (does happen sometimes so go with the flow:)) or if not feeling quite so brave try the slighter slower approach suggested here?;)

18.2!!!:eek: That is a BIg horse - any piccys?

I think your plan to ride in the sand school and then a little bit down the road is a good start (but then I'm a Nervous Nellie who doesn't (YET) hack out alone).

Just to be clear - your plan is absolutely fine - I was just trying to think of ideas if you wanted to take it more slowly! :D

If you don't yet feel confident going out on your own, then it would be good to arrange to go out again with others. It is early days for you, there's no need to rush anything. Play around in the school with your girl, get to know each other and build up a trust between you. Why not do some groundwork and join-up exercises?

Just to be clear - your plan is absolutely fine - I was just trying to think of ideas if you wanted to take it more slowly! :D

:DThats quite funny actually - I used EXACTLY the methods you describe S33 when I first got JJ. But I always feel there cant be anybody quite as nervous as I was with him:eek: - so didnt want to insult the OP too much about her confidence level so also tried to encourage her quicker idea with my reply!!!:D

Thankyou all for your advice. i think I will just see how it goes on Thursday. Will update then and will get some pics as she is a big girl but is lovely.

**up date**

Hi people just want to say thanks for the advice.
I was planning to use the school when I went up to see Gladys yesterday but it was busy so we bit the bullet so to speak and went out on our own for the first time.
We did lots of walking/trotting and singing and talking infact anyone that could have heard me would have thought that I was a complete loony, but I am so proud of her and me. That excited yesterday that I forgot to take any photos will do tonight though.:D:D:D:D

Well done - that is brilliant - I am another one for singing - but as I am so out of tune that I was made to mime during the songs in a school play - it isn't pleasant!!! Still keeps me calm and horse doesn't seem to care :p

newrider.com