Hen is not a hen!!

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
You may remember my neighbour asking me to take a couple of hens as a favour a couple of weeks ago? Turned out that they were younger than I'd been led to believe and now I think one of them is a boy!! Infact, I know he is a boy as he is learning to crow as of yesterday:eek: Not neighbours fault as he'd been led to believe they were both hens!

Am stuck as another neighbour will complain if he joins the rest of the flock that live down in the field, cant think of anyone I know who will take him and offer him a home - think I'll have to ask the vet to pts as I cant do it myself....

Its very hard to tell them apart when they are juvenile, I have been in that position before! I have also had a vet pts a (sick) hen for me before we learnt to do it ourselves.

You might find you can give him away through freecycle or something? That sometimes works, especially if he is purebred.

No one seems to want cockerals though.
I've advertised a Welsummer one on Freecycle and not even had an email or nothing. Seems such a waste to just despatch them.:(
I have 2 cockerals already so a third wouldnt do any harm but they will probably start scrapping.

Thats a pity, you can usually get rid of purebred cockerals like that up here if they are free, possibly because we tend to have less choice of breeds up here though?

I currently have three cockerals living together happily, a full size hybrid cockeral, a gold millefleur sablepoot bantam and a blue silkie bantam (who was also meant to be a hen!), the two older ones grew up together so are fine and the silkie is so much younger he has accepted his place is well down the pecking order so no fighting so far (and I have done a similar thing in the past with a young cockeral growing up in the flock and had no problems). We have about 10 hens (+ 17 chicks at the moment, possibly 18 if I get home and find the last egg has hatched, the other 7 of this hatch hatched last night and early this morning).

have been busy trying everyone I can think of who might be able to offer him a home, have no idea what breed he is - he's going to be big and white!! night a Sussex....

If the neighbours didnt moan then i'd let him stay down the field with the hens but I know that they are happy at being able to leave their bedroom window open at night!! Mind you, their house is prob a good few hundreds of metres away from the hen house!

How close are you to Lanark?
They have sales of chooks quite regular.
Pricing can be all over the shop though.
Light Sussex are very popular.
last time we went we ended up buying some as a dodgy foreign bloke was
bidding on them and we were concerned with their welfare.
Poor things got eaten a month later by a fox :(

I've phoned our vets who are trying to see if they know of a home for him which is very kind of them and their idea as I'd phoned to see how much it would cost to have him pts!

They prob wont have any luck tbh but at least we've tried - not taking him to the sale as its a fair few miles from here and i'd end up coming back with something!!!

I cant help but just wondered why people are so put off by chickens crowing ?? I dont see its any difference to birds. Its always puzzled me, there would be worse things to be woken up by than a bird ??

Thing is - it doesnt bother me at all and the neighbours closest to us have loads of cockerals (sadly, they dont want one more) Its the people whos garden back onto our field that hate the crowing - I think hubby is a poor sleeper and the crowing makes things worse.

newrider.com