Hen party advice needed

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I've got my friends hen party coming up this weekend. We are going to a pig farm to cuddle piglets first which she arranged, and then we are going to afternoon tea nearby which I arranged.

The group consists of her, her mum, mother of groom, one bridesmaid and myself (maid of honour)

I have got her a little gift bag of pig related items (she is pig crazy) and I've got sashes and badges for us all to wear (the ones that tell you all who we are)

But I'm not sure that I've done enough. I wonder if I should be getting everyone a little something? Or a gift bag? Or should I get her more?

She said she wanted low key, but I also don't want to disappoint her as this will be her only hen party.

Any advice? Her mum is also driving me and her so thought I would offer to pay for her afternoon tea as a thank-you, we have already split the cost of the pig farm and the afternoon tea to cover my friends costs as its her hen so that means it's getting quite pricey for me. Should I buy her a bottle of something instead to say thank-you?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
When I got married I only had a hen party to keep others happy, when I said low key I really meant it, I was just happy to go to a posh pub for dinner with everyone.
My friends hen party, the type of person who loves being the center of attention, she did a gift bag for each person there which was like a wedding survival kit, blister plasters, headache tablets, breath mints, and a bunch of other silly little things. And her bridesmaid did her a bag of gifts and organized all the silly things to wear and games to play at the table too.

It sounds like you are going to have a lovely day, and you know your fiend and if she is the type of person who really means it when they say low key or if she might secretly want a bit more :)

Reactions: Ale

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
@Ale that sounds like a wonderful set up, I would be chuffed to bits if it were me and you were my friend and maid of honour! What jessey says makes sense to me too, if you know her pretty well and she wants pigs and low key, sounds like you have it nailed! :) :) :)

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
It sounds lovely. I wouldn’t offer to pay for her mums afternoon tea for driving you. I think that would be excessive. A simple ‘thanks for driving’ would do.

Hen dos get really over the top. I have been to one which was a weekend in Bath and cost me hundreds.

The only thing I would add on is the option of evening drinks. Just going somewhere quiet to enjoy some wine after the Afternoon Tea? A nice bar somewhere perhaps to round off the day?

Reactions: Ale

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I hope you are going somewhere not to cosy or ideally outdoors for your afternoon tea or you will be getting some funny looks from people sitting round you, thanks to odour piggy.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
When I got married I only had a hen party to keep others happy, when I said low key I really meant it, I was just happy to go to a posh pub for dinner with everyone.
My friends hen party, the type of person who loves being the center of attention, she did a gift bag for each person there which was like a wedding survival kit, blister plasters, headache tablets, breath mints, and a bunch of other silly little things. And her bridesmaid did her a bag of gifts and organized all the silly things to wear and games to play at the table too.

It sounds like you are going to have a lovely day, and you know your fiend and if she is the type of person who really means it when they say low key or if she might secretly want a bit more :)
Thank-you, she definitely the less is more sort of person and I think you're right that she will just enjoy having a nice day with us more than anything. I know that's what I would enjoy most!

Reactions: Jessey

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
@Ale that sounds like a wonderful set up, I would be chuffed to bits if it were me and you were my friend and maid of honour! What jessey says makes sense to me too, if you know her pretty well and she wants pigs and low key, sounds like you have it nailed! :) :) :)
You're too kind but you really wouldn't. We had to go through alot of hideous dress suggestions from me before we found suitable ones. My taste is somewhat lacking haha

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
It sounds lovely. I wouldn’t offer to pay for her mums afternoon tea for driving you. I think that would be excessive. A simple ‘thanks for driving’ would do.

Hen dos get really over the top. I have been to one which was a weekend in Bath and cost me hundreds.

The only thing I would add on is the option of evening drinks. Just going somewhere quiet to enjoy some wine after the Afternoon Tea? A nice bar somewhere perhaps to round off the day?
I did suggest some drinks after, I think we are going back to either mine or hers and watching secret life of pets with some drinks. Could even turn that into a sleep over actually as I have some spare rooms at mine that night. Now you've got me thinking!

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I hope you are going somewhere not to cosy or ideally outdoors for your afternoon tea or you will be getting some funny looks from people sitting round you, thanks to odour piggy.
Change of clothes a must haha. But it does have outdoor seating so hopefully we will end up out there!

Reactions: Trewsers

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island

It's funny cos I worried about smelling of pig when I looked after my neighbours for a week. Tbh I was more bothered about going back to our horses smelling of it and wondered how they'd react. They didn't seem to mind.