Hi All

Fluttershy

Mar 31, 2019
Er hi!

I've joined here as the very long term plan is to finally take the plunge into horse ownership! I've loved horses all my life and been riding since I was about 10, only riding schools and hacks whilst on holiday and the like. Met hubby and money didn't stretch to riding as regular so rode as and when I could, then met a lady via another forum and she invited me to meet her and her horses and I ended up riding one of her's for a couple of years until sadly he had to be put down. Ridden on and off since so would consider myself knowledgeable and experienced but rusty!

I'm hoping to get a job later on this year (Due to health problems and one thing and another I've not worked for a year or so) and hubby said that with two full time jobs he sees no reason why in time (Looking to part loan first) I shouldn't finally have a horse!

I'm approaching 40 (God did I just say that) and am based in South Yorkshire, only animal companions at the moment are a couple of cats who are Mum and Daughter, they came as an unwanted pregnant queen and we ended up keeping one of her litter but I think thats a story for another day!

Looking forward to getting to know you all, talking horses, making friends and sharing my (Long) journey with you all

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
40! You're just a young slip of a thing lol! I agree - just go for it - I'm 63 and got my 2nd just a few months ago, after retiring my old boy. Keep us posted on your search and what you end up getting. Exciting!!:p I only joined this forum late last year, and everyone's super helpful and friendly.

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Welcome! You will find lots of help and support here if you need it

Fluttershy

Mar 31, 2019
Thank you all

As I said it will be a long journey, possibly 2-3 years depending on how quickly I'm able to find a suitable job and how well the planned part loan goes. In the meantime I will be reading threads on here and reading up :)

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Hi, you sound like me. I barely rode as a child, decided at 30 to start lessons. Then at around 35 I met a RI who bought, brought on and then sold horses, so I ended up riding whatever she was working on at the time. Age 40, I bought Star off her. 12 years later I have my second pony having lost Star last year.
(Horse) life really can begin at 40.

Reactions: Huggy

Fluttershy

Mar 31, 2019
Well nearly a year later I've still not been able to find a job so at the moment the dream of my own horse is very much in the distant future, however I've found a semi local sanctuary where I am headed on Monday to meet the lady and hopefully start volunteering there on a regular basis so at least I get my horse fix! Looks like there is the possibility to ride too so everything crossed that it works out :)

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I hope it works out and you can get some horse time, as well as helping the sanctuary it could give you quite a broad base of experiences if you're dealing with a number of horses Good luck on Monday!

Fluttershy

Mar 31, 2019
Well I headed to the sanctuary yesterday, spent the day there helping out and I GOT TO RIDE! (Sorry for caps!)

Wow that felt good, also made me realise how rusty I am as i hurt EVERYWHERE (And I do mean everywhere) last night but it's easing today

Back there next Monday, can't wait!!

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
For me, that view beats any landscape, seascape or any city skyline, any time any day!

Reactions: Fluttershy