Hibiscrubbing rain scald

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
:help:

I am horrified and mortified to find that poor Mattie has developed rain scald. The filly next door has mud fever, I do not know if it is contagious.

I am advised (by my small animal vet, who is horsey) to get off what scabs I can and use Hibiscrub on the affected areas. She says it is important to rinse properly. I imagine he should also be kept dry and am rugging him overnight (it is fine and hot at present).

Can anyone explain the proper use of Hibiscrub, applying it, rinsing it etc? The rain scald is worst on one shoulder and just behind and below where his saddle sits, next to the flap.

Although it's not in the saddle area I am in two minds about riding him. He isn't showing any discomfort but surely it is sore??

... And his owner is coming to visit him soon... Oh, I am ashamed and mortified :redface::redcarded:

I was advised against using hibiscurb, slows the healing as it kills stuff off needed for healing. Use for the first wash and then use a normal shampoo, but that isn't for rainscald.

As for how to use it, I think you are supposed to mix it in a bucket, but I wet the area, pour hibiscrub on hands and rub in thoroughly. I then comb out the scabs as they soften a bit and then rinse and rinse and rinse.

Think Maloseb is better than Hibiscrub as it's an anti-bacterial & an anti-fungal.It's a shampoo & it is prescription but personally don't think you can beat it.The vet prescribed it years ago when my boy had a right mess on his neck where he'd rubbed & I'd treated it with Camrosa which made it spread taking off an area about 6" by 3" which was oozing & bright red. Think he also gave me a cream with steroid in it too & within about 4 days was healed over & the skin was turning black again.

With rain scald you want to keep the patches as dry as possible. Keep hair round the patches short. Washing in hibiscrub did nothing for mine. If you do wash dry area off with kitchen towel or something. Dont leave wet at all. Dont be ashamed just because owner is coming. It is quite common to get, especially at this time of year it seems.
Mine had big patches a couple of years ago and in the end I cut round the patches with scissors and applied demoline cream. Might have looked odd with little scissored areas on his body, but its nothing to a patch of rainscald. Believe me sounds crazy but actually worked. Once I cut round the patch the air got into the patch and being able to breath and not stay wet cleared up.

i picked off the flakly bits of the scabs which were ready to come off when my horse had rain scald i also used tea tree oil on them and it was gone pretty quickly cant even tell he had it now

remember if u brush that area to disinfect the brushes after as the bacterica can transfer to other areas

hibiscrub is great for rainscald! takes ages to lather up and you have to get all the scabs off which will leave bald patches but also gets rid of all the pus under the scabs. Then it will clear up

newrider.com