highland pony xc fun **updated**

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
today we went along to a highland pony group xc day :D I havent ridden xc for such a long time and Skye has never done it. Im not as secure as i used to be so i went in saying i was literally just wanting to hack along behind the others and pop over the odd little stick on the ground, in walk or trot :oops:

well it turns out skye is not just a superstar hacking pony, we ended up giving a lead to the others in the group and nothing was a problem :cool: We had 1 stop where her stomach got the better of her haha. I really do struggle to get her infront of the leg enough so we dont make a very pretty or correct shape/picture, however by the end of the hour where the others were really knackered and showing it, she suddenly really pepped up and took me forward in a lovely canter. We jumped a little sequence of 4 jumps and she felt brilliant!!

skyexc5_zpsmcfaeygz.jpg

skyexc3_zpsrkl7wylf.jpg

i dropped the contact and the bales were too tempting to not grab a mouthful:oops: we did jump it the 2nd time and it was one of our better fences but no pic sadly
skyexc4_zpsgfleofnt.jpg

skyexc7_zpszfe8gznu.jpg

skyexc6_zps1itpm2kf.jpg

*I* *HATE* *DROPS* there is a really steep hill just out of the pic and I squealed when she made me come in a forward trot, we ended up doing it over and over again as the others in the group were having none of it and even giving a lead didnt help. I really felt for them, been there.
skyexc1_zpstshxfpdi.jpg

skyexc2_zpsfk7gphx4.jpg

Im so glad I took the punt to buy this lovely, safe and genuine pony :):):)

@Jane&Ziggy everyone was in hysterics, including me. Its SO typically SKye... she would flatten you for food and she can be quite nasty about. Ive discovered this is why she was sold and punted to a dealers yard - although great under saddle she isnt a child’s pony to handle, even my hubby is scared of her lol.

I have to admit I laughed like a drain because I have never seen a pony EAT a cross country jump before....

You will find them in the working hunter classes. My friends stopped to eat the straw bales.

I think mine would? Not sure one to try.

@CharliesAngel. Well done with the drop. I hate them and make various noises which in human terms means no way.
I hated the steep slope in the Trec competiton.

Love it! You look like you were both having so much fun, had to laugh at her eating the straw jump though, just the thing Belle would do. Well done both of you and thanks for sharing the photo's.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
thank you :D and thanks for all the lovely, encouraging replies. Its so lovely to see this forum flourishing again and what nice place to be it is too :)

I just love that bale pic - that would have been my old Solly - well actually it was my old Solly's trick.... once on a Xc we cleared a good few big obstacles with great style and competence, until we came upon one that was to all intents and purposes a very long and very high feeding trough...complete with hay scattered in the trough. He actually twisted in mid air as we sailed over it, grabbed some hay, and galloped on without so much as a change of pace. I almost passed out with heart failure and was just a passenger for the rest of the course! :p

I do admire your guts and determination and love following your updates - even a small twig unnerves me these days. :rolleyes:

newrider.com