Highs and Lows of horse ownership

nelle

May 27, 2005
South East
I've had Sonny 7 weeks today, I think we're bonding - he put his head on my shoulder the other night and left it there for ages while I whispered sweet nothings into his ear and stroked his head. My OH is moaning that I think more of the horse than him ;)

However, I've just had my confidence knocked. I lost my hacking buddy today, they've moved yards. At the moment there is no other livery to go out with so YO suggested I go out with her daughter who's 9, just a short hack around the fields.

Sonny was a NIGHTMARE. we went ok for a little way then he started bucking, spinning, backing up, he definitely wanted to go home. I wouldn't let him, but we didn't do the hack we intended, I got him up the side of a field about a 100 yards and then we turned around and headed for home.

I used my crop and my leg - which is why he bucked, I've seen him do it with my YO when she schools him and so I was expecting it and had my legs stuck out in front of me just in case - lucky really. I think really I should have been more firm, but I've not the confidence for that.

But now I'm demorolised, weekly lessons are going well, but I don't want a battle every time we hack. My nerves aren't up to it, my riding isn't up to it and I need to nip it in the bud. YO is coming out with me tomorrow, if Sonny starts playing up she said we'll swap horses and she'll ride him.

This is the first hack since the hunt were around last week, which upset him a lot, it took a good 24 hours for him to calm down and he lost a lot of weight by racing around like a loony, perhaps that is still playing on his mind. He's been okay on previous hacks.

Does anyone else feel on a high when everything is going well and sooo low when it's not?

Yes this is very common with horse ownership. My pal always says oh dear run and hide after my mare has 'moments' as I really go off on one! But when she is good and things go well I am great. It really annoys me that I let it affect my moods so much but it's just me! I am having to keep my mare in 24x7 just now until our new fence goes up and understandably she is becoming a handful which is putting me off riding her - catch 22!

Do you hack Sonny often or do you think he is just getting excited with it all? Is he getting turned out at all? Try not to let it put you off - it does get easier. I've had horses for years but still get days when I feel like you....

Since I have had horses I have experienced such a range of emotions which are just so powerful. When everything is great it is the best feeling in the world - almost like a drug. When things go wrong I have spent many evenings in tears telling my poor husband every little detail!

From what you have said in your post, it sounds like you have a good, supportive YO who is helping you with your hacking problems. I am sure that you will get the confidence to hack out Sonny and overcome your confidence issues. As he has only been with you for 7 weeks he will still be settling in and you are both getting to know each other. Good luck, I wish you the very best.

Gosh I am up and down like a yo-yo. When something goes well I am the higher than a kite, when something goes wrong I cant sleep and hold a conversation with anyone.;)

When things go wrong I am running it through my mind over and over again to see if I could of done anything different. When things go right I am yacking everyone's head off about what an amazing thing we just did.

Horse... dont you just love them...:D

I go though that all the time up and down like a yo yo, i think in most ownership's you will get some low times but you just have to remember the good times. I'm similar to NN i'll make a conversation with anyone about the highs me and amba has, just last week i couldn't stop talking about jumping amba and how well she was going. :D

the hunt could well have upset him. Is he used to riding out with the pony you went out with? is it the normal ride?

it is just under 2 months... it is always underestimated how long it takes a horse to 'bed down'. He will be trying to find his place in horse society, get used to the new routine, the turnout, the rides, the horses. it will take time. Honestly, don't get too worried, just keep relaxed if you can.

I feel like my relationship with May is like something off a soap opera :D

When I first got her, she was really green, but nice...but still hated everyone. When I moved her from the show barn to a Parelli training place, she instantly changed, but some gelding has her convinced she's a feral horse so she really hates me again....but the gelding is going to leave soon so everything will be normal again, hopefully :p

Thanks all for your replies, I'm wondering at the moment whether I've overhorsed myself and i've got a cold coming so I'm feeling sorry for myself:eek:

Yesterdays hack was a slightly different route, and although I've been out with the 9 year old before its never been just us and the ponies, her mum has always come out with us. I feel as though he won yesterday and yes - NN - I'm playing it over in my mind I should have pushed him on, should have used more leg, should have used the whip more.

Todays hack was slightly better, he got strong and bucked in canter and I was hanging on the reins and panicking. YO was behind me and said I should learn forward seat so I can sit low, brace the reins and use my neck strap rather than pulling. She rode him around the field and took him over the log jumps for me, she said I've got a competition horse and he could very easily jump 3ft (I know that as he jumped a 4ft field gate last week). He's not nasty, just trying his luck. My worry is that my riding and confidence isn't up to it.

A friend has pointed out that he is now coming in overnight and he's getting used to being fed and stabled so he's got more energy. Anyhow I'm cheering myself up with hot chocolate and smartie cookies

newrider.com