Highs and lows

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, folks, today I walked with Ziggy for an hour while my RI rode him.

He tried hard and concentrated and trotted slowly and steadily for 25metres, the farthest yet, in beautiful self carriage. It is really, really hard for him - you can see him thinking, "But I'm supposed to stick my head up in the air and trot as fast as I can!" - but she asks him so well he tries to please.

It's lovely to see him working in shape. Sarah my RI says she is constantly (pleasantly) surprised by how responsive he is. But it makes me feel bad and lacking in confidence - he needs a good rider, he goes well and tries hard for a good rider, and he's so sweet he deserves a good rider, and clearly I'm not good enough. Will he wait while I learn???

On the positive side, he hurried over and nickered to me when I went to the field to poo pick today. I have always dreamed of a horse who would call to me! Plus a lady who lives nearby and keeps a dozen show horses met us on the lane (riding her little New Forest with his chin tucked in to his glossy chest, of course) and admired his looks very much, so he must be a real stunner... but I knew that, of course...;)

Dont be downhearted -of course he will wait while you learn!

Deserves a good rider - that could have been me very, very recently - came alarmingly close to selling JJ as had a very good offer from a good home that would do far more with him than me, and a much more capable rider to help him along in a new career. Had all the thoughts you have had - not fair to keep him, Im too crap rider for him etc. etc.:eek:

Decided to give him until the end of the summer and had a light bulb moment recently when I realised he is, in fact, very happy doing the low key stuff I want to do, and is actually showing every sign now of being happier with me riding him than anybody else!:confused:

didnt think that would EVER happen - I was where you are roughly last autumn - my oh my, never thought Id be this far on with him or feeling so confident - well most of the time!!!:D

Sounds like he will be a super horse for you - just give him and yourself time - and dont be pressured by anybody - do every little thing at your own pace - you'll get there - trust me!;)

Having a similar wibble myself, am I or will I ever be good enough to ride my own horse?! Its reassuring to see someone else put them through their paces and know there's nothing wrong with them, that they can do some amazing things, but think that's frustrating sometimes cause you just want to get on and do the same stuff perfectly as well!
No time limit, as long as we enjoy the whole learning experience, (and I'm sure there'll be ups and downs!!) I think we'll all get there.
Good luck!!

I went through those feelings too - felt I wasn't a good enough rider for Rusty and he "deserved" better. Guess what - no one could love him more or care for him more, and as my RI said once, "he's not spending his days wishing he could do more leg yields, or shoulder-ins"! If all I do is walk and trot and do a few circles, I'm OK with that - Rusty's not longing for a life in the show ring (at least I hope not) :eek:

Oh thank you all!

My RI is a Mary Wanless instructor and I was looking at her website today (to see if there was an intensive course that might make me a good rider overnight, natch ;)). I saw a quote from her that said just the same thing: "The horse doesn't stand in his stable thinking, "I'm being wasted"". And without doubt Ziggy is happier now than he has been for a long time.

I just hope the money holds out for Sarah to keep riding him - 10,000 repetitions to ingrain something in memory.....:eek:!!!!

I'm just coming out the other side of the wobble - and the world is a much lovelier place now that Arnold and I are a team:D.

You can do it - and he will wait (took us 3 years:eek:)

newrider.com