Home made cakes / biccies etc

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I am on economny drive until further notice which means I am making all Christmas - birthday pressies (well Mr T is - I cannot bake for toffee:cry:). What I wanted to know is do any of you buy nice fancy boxes / packaging for yours? And if so where from? I am hoping for some festive packaging! Mr T wants to make a cake for his mum as it's her birthday next week, so I would like a nice box for it. Saw some in Lakeland but they were a bit pricey which kinda defeats the object if I need to spend so much on packaging! (I am on economy drive in preparation for our new horse:happy:). Being as I have a huge family to buy pressies for I thought the home made route was ideal - well, I will supervise OH!

what about wilko's? They some times have some nice offerings in store? Or if you are feeling creative you could buy one of those cardboard numbers & decorate it yourself? :smile:

Thanks for the link will have a look later! I am thinking about cardboard really tho a tin for the one I don't have to post wouldn't be too bad, just the postage would be heavy for alot of relatives.

It's a shop in Glasgow she gets her boxes from, they don't have a website. If you want I can go pick some up and send them however you'll probably get some cheaper online!

Christmas puddings are also an idea as the gift recipient would keep the basin you made the pudding in. You can always put a festive top on when you take off the first cooking papers prior to maturing it. (You also have to make them well in advance so you'd be really well prepared!)

I know Sainsbury's used to sell cardboard cupcake boxes, but I thought they were quite expensive for what they are. I have not looked at them for a while though, so it might have been a seasonal thing.

Ah. Just read your comment about postage and weight. Probably Puddings out then - too heavy. I might worry about a cardboard box being too flimsy though and the precious cargo arriving looking less than perfect. Might shortbread travel better?

Thanks for all the suggestions - funny but OH fancied making puddings too - I think we will have a go at those for people who live nearer - a lot of my family are scattered globally so I think it will be cookies and small cakes for them! I was thinking of putting them into nice boxes and then bubble wrap and then brown cardboard round the outside.

Last year we made damson jam (foraged from damson trees by my horses) and used some old jars and fancied them up a bit with ribbon for the relatives.

This year my mother has made loads of crab apple jelly with the crab apples from the tree in my horse field, some has chilli flakes in them and others plain, delicious :happy:

For the less catering orientated of us I did three hyacinths in a bowl last christmas for grans.. Bowls - one was from Ikea and one from charity shop, a bit of compost and 3 bulbs - all came to about £4 but they loved because I had spent time making them (do require forward planning to "force" them on ready for christmas) they have both used the bowls since for other stuff too!

newrider.com