Home Made recipes for Hoof Conditioner

S

snopuma

Does anyone have any home made recipes for a Hoof Condtioner,

I have to use one daily and its costing a fortune,

I have been using Leovet Summer Hoof Gel, which is the one that works the best, but you can't always get it and it doesn't last very long,

there must be an easier and cheaper way to give the hooves the moisture they need!

any ideas would be great

I use Naf hoof moist as its not an oil that gives it the mositure its water. Hoof moist is made with water rather than oil I think,

I would not use vasaline everyday as it keeps the mositure out not in.

Have you tried it the Naf version before? It is about £5 a tub so abut £2 cheaper than your normal product.

I think someone on here recommends soaking the hooves in water every other day rather than any products....but cant remember who...but i think they have good results..

Last edited:
Every time I ask my farrier to reccomend something, he always tells me that the best thing is to soak their hooves in a bucket of water for 5 mins daily.

I sometimes spray or soak my horses feet with water in the summer, to give them more moisture if its been dry for a few days and they seem brittle.
Obviously not as good as the pots of moisturiser you can buy but its free!
I've heard about success with vaseline too ... just go to the supermarket and buy their own brand petroleum jelly, its cheaper than normal vaseline.
The problems I have is in winter mud ... when the feet are too wet! :rolleyes:

my farrier recomended Effol for my lads feet - and must say a tub cost about £6.50 and lasts ages - he also suggested using acques (?spelling) cream few times a week

Water really is the best thing, but if you decide to use something else, make sure it is water based. Vaseline and oils are very bad for hooves and the amount of water absorption/retention/prevention.

I won't put anything oil based near mine.

I'll do a ride through the river (or the backet trick) or if really necessary I'd use aqueous cream which is wonderful stuff and it isn;t a horsey product and so dead cheap. You get from the chemist. Great to use as shower wash for us humans too :)

I was also told about soaking feet in a water bucket-my mare wont have it though so we just spray hers with water each day :)

If you need to soak feet, you can make a soaking boot pretty easily for free by making a draw string arrangement with an inner tyre tube - your local garage will happily part with old ones. Damn sight easier to have it tied on than getting them to stand still in a bucket too!:p

I agree with the others who say definitely don't use anything oil based - which most are. But I go one step further & don't agree with putting any topical goop on horse's feet as a rule(with the exception of fungal treatments). 'Conditioning' comes from the inside & if your horse's feet are shelly, brittle, etc, it is likely that something's lacking in their nutrition, &/or the circulation isn't working well enough. So I'd be focussing on nutrition, diet and the mechanics of the hooves rather than using some goop.

Ahhhh, some barefoot guru tired a soak boot on a friends horse....took them an hour to catch him again, then, when they did, he was in such a state that she has had to get another guru in to train him to have his feet handled again! :D :D

HE only has to see the barefoot trimmer arrive and he's off. I'd rather have the bucket tip up and roll away than have a panicing horse charing round tring to rid himself of a soak boot.

Ride through the burn occasionally.

My farrier swears by cod liver oil painted on a couple of times a week for feet that have got too hard. Now I thought hard was good but the way he put it to me was that the silly sod was effectively laming himself by running around on hard ground with wooden clogs on - made some sense when I thought of it that way.

If it's for generally poor quality hoof then I'd agree with whoever said about the diet & also look at general foot shape & balance.

Ahhhh, some barefoot guru tired a soak boot on a friends horse....took them an hour to catch him again, then, when they did, he was in such a state that she has had to get another guru in to train him to have his feet handled again! :D :D

:eek::rolleyes::D I wasn't suggesting anyone do anything to their horses that they're not ready & confident about.

I've seen people use 'dremmels', even angle grinders on horses feet & in reality, imagine they'd be quite handy, esp for some such as an overgrown drafty's feet.... BUT I've nearly lost a client before that insisted on this tactic with his clydie because he thought I was taking too long with hand tools... his 'baby', not surprisingly, tried to kick him in the head when he went for the back feet with the grinder!:rolleyes:

Couldn't believe it when I turned up at the paddock the other day to see another trimmer at work on a new, unbroken, hardly handled horse with a power tool, especially as she calls herself a trainer! She was lucky tho... that day anyway. The horse didn't flinch. Tho I thought he looked a bit too still to be confident he was actually comfortable about it. ....Oh well, looking on the bright side, she mightn't be competing for business with me much longer!:p:D

I have seen angle grinders used, but generally on a cast pony who is tied up and being sat on.

I've used Aqueous cream in the past. It's a human product for putting moisture back into the skin. It worked well on hooves. You can get a big tub in Boots for under £5.

newrider.com