Horse difficult when hacking in company

Pencilbeckett

Mar 12, 2009
Staffordshire
Hi

I have only had my Dales for 6 months and we have come a long way. We hack alone for short distances and once we get going (he naps when leaving the yard) he is really good and only has the odd little spook. We have been hacking alot in company recently and Ozzy seems to be getting worse and worse. He does not want to go first and tries to tuck himself in behind my friends horse. He bites the horse in front too and has even tried to bite my friends leg. If i try to push him in front he has a massive tantrum, he even cantered off sideways today and nearly unseated me just so he could get behind again. I wouldnt mind going behind but Ozzy is faster than his hacking mate and if we try to canter Ozzy can keep up with his mates canter in just a fast trot and if we do break into a canter we are straight up behind the horse in front because he is so slow, but Ozzy will not overtake.

I could understand this problem if we struggled to hack alone but apart from his initial nap which he always tries (it is getting less each time). We go well and he is really responsive when i ask him to do anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Pencilbecket, this is a strange one to try and answer, Must admit I have never come across this behaviour before. My mare walks out a lot quicker than the others so I always tend to lead but she is happy to do this otherwise I too would be up other's backsides! I think its a question of keep trying and hope your riding companions also have patience. Try to perhaps ride slightly to one side behind your companion and then see if he will walk up side by side. Push him on a bit while your companion keeps their same pace. Try and trick him into going forward. May work ??;)

I do try to push him up the side, now i can get him to walk side by side if we are on the inside but he will not go on the outside of the other horse. Now sometimes he will overtake without realising and then he realises and trys to turn and get back behind.

My own thoughts (i am a novice so am probably barking up the wrong tree) Is that he is being lazy and thinks by getting behind he can just pull down for the grass (he does this alot and it is a flippin nightmare) and not have to think about what he is doing because the other horse in front is the one that has to do the hard work. I also think Ozzy takes advantage of my noviceness. If he was scared and insecure i know he would not go out alone. Ozzy tries his luck with every person he meets. He will stand in the yard pretty well for me if a person he has never met takes the lead rope he drags them around the yard, if that person is assertive and shows him who is boss he never drags them again, if that person struggles to control him he would always drag them.

My experienced friend rode him the other day and he was an angel for her its like he can work out who he can take the mick with.

He really is a naughty pone :eek:

You are probably right. You may need to get a bit firmer with him. I know all these things are easier said than done but perhaps a little tap backed up with your voice may make him realise you mean business. You will probably get frustrated but DONT GIVE IN and hopefully he will get the message. As soon as he starts to play up nip it in the bud and take him by surprise. See how you get on. Let us know. Good luck Pencilbeckett xx

this is a tough one -- without actually seeing your horse it is hard to say if it is dominance or unconfidence

even though he is ok hackign out alone, it could still be unconfidence when hacking out with others -- could be when he is with just you, he listens to you -- but when he is with the other horses he "reverts" to herd behaviour and ignores you more as the other horses become his leader.....

one thing you can do is play some games with him out on the ride -- if your friend will go along with you -- so you overtake her, but only for a few strides, then ASK him to come back behind again -- then do this again -- and let her overtake you - playing this leapfrog game helps build confidence and gets a horse more responsive ot you so would work in both cases....

also you can try hacking out alone and "meeting" your friend partway and see how that affects your horse's behaviour...

Cathy

It is interesting you say hack alone then meet up as i did try this tactic the other day. Istarted hacking and my friend phone me so i said i would meet her and we could carry on together. Alone was fab Ozzy was brill, as soon as i met my friend Ozzy is off again.

I am going to get my instructor to come on foot with me and my friend to see the problems i am having in company and see what she thinks.

newrider.com