Horse poop on road...

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
I went out for a hack this morning and on the way home Marley did a poop, I kept him over to the side so it was near the kerb. I carried on up the hill and a couple of cars passed me , all nice and slowly so they all got a wave. The last car stopped and it was a young male driver with R plates up. I stopped and smiled waiting to hear what he wanted. He said " I live along this road and are you going back to lift up that horse shit" I replied still smiling that " No i don't have too, horse shit doesn't have to be lifted, the birds will eat it and we do live in the country side. He then pointed his finger but before he said anything, I said "Sure look it up to see if it has to be lifted". He drove off.
I don't want to be upsetting people but of recent a lot of houses have been getting built. Expensive houses in small cul-de-sac along the country roads. People from the towns with a bit of money are moving in and while i don't mind this at all I do think if they move into the country side they should embrace the country way of life and realise that it isn't all roses and bumble bees and that at certain times of the year it stinks of slurry etc

Just venting....

I recently came across a petition started by cyclists to make it illegal for horses to poop on the road!!

Their reasoning is that it's slippery when wet! I've been cycling for 4 years around very horse heavy areas and never had a problem. They suggested we strap a bucket to the horse and dismount to pick up the dung. Which all sounds extremely safe to me :rolleyes:

Dung doesn't carry disease unlike dog mess. It is biodegradable, compostable and good for bio-diversity. Unlike dog mess which is not! There is no legal obligation for riders to pick up dung. I can see why some people don't like it but, sorry, it is not practical or safe to pick up dung while riding. It's just part of country living.

It's usually right by the kerb anyway so anyone passing it isn't going to get that close to it anyway (cyclists aside and since they seem to ride quite far from the kerb round here anyway is it really an issue?) .

I would have thought if you're going to complain about horses a much bigger issue would be farmers and all the muck they spread all over the road.

It's part of living in rural areas. Get used to it.

What really gets my goat is finding dog poop in my front garden that someone else's dog has deposited there. Mr C is on the verge of hiding in the bushes to catch the buggers. :mad:

It's usually right by the kerb anyway so anyone passing it isn't going to get that close to it anyway (cyclists aside and since they seem to ride quite far from the kerb round here anyway is it really an issue?) .

I would have thought if you're going to complain about horses a much bigger issue would be farmers and all the muck they spread all over the road.

It's part of living in rural areas. Get used to it.

What really gets my goat is finding dog poop in my front garden that someone else's dog has deposited there. Mr C is on the verge of hiding in the bushes to catch the buggers. :mad:

Ah dog poop. When we lived on a housing estate years ago we used to wake up every morning to find it left on our front lawn. Same place each time it drove us mad! Whoever was doing it must have got up very early too - I had my suspicions but never confronted.....
Then we had a neighbour who used to encourage their dogs to poop at the bottom of our garden - when we asked them to stop their reasoning behind it was that they thought we wouldn't mind seeing as we hadn't planted anything on that part!

What?! Are motorists afraid their tyres will get poopy?! Lol honestly. Tsk. Next they'll be demanding a law is passed for bird sh*t. "Say no to pigeon poo":p

Trewsers, that made me chuckle, I needed something to laugh about :D

Glad everyone is in agreement here, I hate offending anyone but he was only a whipper snapper and I have lived in the area for years so I was a bit offended myself to get told of by a boy who prob hasn't lived in the area long and he hasn't been a motorist for long either as he still had his R plates up..but hey ho...I also think he was the same boy that came speeding towards me and marley the other day and I gave the signal for him to slow down and he wouldn't. That is my biggest worry about offending people, their are certain people in life who would take pleasure in trying to get back for something as petty as horse poop on the road. We have no bridleways over here so I have to stick to the roads and most drivers were I live are very considerate, so I would hate for anyone to start revving and tooting the horn etc :eek:

A friend of mine very polity explained the hazards of dismounting and holding onto her horse whilst trying to clear up poop when confronted by someone complaining about horse muck on the road. She then went on to compliment the person on having such a nice garden ( it was almost outside her house but not quite) and suggested it would be a great free fertiliser!

Have they never followed cows or sheep then?
If you move to the country. You get countryside products and smells. If you live in a town you get. Wait for it, people!

You don't just follow cattle here, they have right of way! Cattle graze on the common land in the next village from us. And a warden sits there in a pickup all day making sure if they cross the road on their way through the dunes to the river to drink everybody gives way to them. :)

There are often cows or sheep being moved from one field to another. And all the locals know to just sit and wait. Visitors can be a pain in the neck because they don't understand they'll split the herd by trying to creep through.

I wonder if anyone complains about the mess people make throwing KFC or McDonalds wrappers and bags out of car windows or just left where they're eaten that are then left on the roadside or on our beaches? That's something that's down to those that both live and visit here and is something that really gets me.

haha , Briea happened to go for a poop just right outside a house along the road.. I mean it literally was at the entrance to their drive. Once I was home I jumped in the truck with a rake and went back along to shift it. The owner was there and told me to leave it, he wanted it for the garden :D

Somebody stopped me one day to complain. She pulled up along side us, don't think she even checked her mirror to see what was behind, as there was a cue of traffic. I just replied that it didn't have to be picked up.
Someone all complained to me about a pile already in the road that was slap bang in line with her drive. I told her it wasn't from my horse. I think she expected me to get off my horse and clear it up though.

Sheep and cattle have rights to graze on our common grazings, to get to our village you have to drive over 7 miles of unfenced hill land. For some reason the sheep all gather at night and pee allover the road.

yes Trewsers that gave me a chuckle too!

Here too dog poop has to be picked up Horse poop does not.
I always go back and pick mine up in the neighborhood as a courtesy to my neighborhood back there.
Sonny rarely poops on a ride there/ Other people years past that trailered over here and rode with me
I think their horses saved it up all week for over here:rolleyes:

Many times I had gone back and it was already gone to someones garden.

Now that same person OMG it was a big Mc Mansion neighborhood all around her Places football players and people with big money live in.
Here I'm the only horses around so any horse around here is riding with me/visiting ---over there several horse property and no one owns up to
whos manure it is and by rites they don't have to pick it up but OMG its a NASTY ENVIRONMENT OVER THERE.
she had someone drop a bag of poop on her front step.
Worse than that she had a guy in a car when she was out on roads with her daughter fly up to the daughter slam on brakes
scream at her ive counted 35 piles of poop and then screech off then come back for second go screaming at the mother !!
and this nutcase had a kid in the car.
I would not go there any more it was horrible tense nastyness from everyone and I did not think it was safe.
I did not want to be there when that jerk LOST THE PLOT as you say and did not put the brakes on and rammed a horse or something.

Now last fall when we had Sonny and Andi on a ride and we did a stretch of rather main road heading towards the entrance to the
Old Norfolk Airport ---out and about on those roads I would not have gone back if they had pooped.

Reactions: joellie
newrider.com