Horse size V's Rider Size

chev said:
Have to point out that we don't normally allow links to other forums but I felt this was a worthy exception.

Fingers crossed I don't get shouted at now! :eek:

Oh I hope you don't get shouted at either, thousands of aplogies... but in my defence and yours, there does seem to be a dicussion about a sections for the largers riders and i thought this would help !!

Not looking to poach anyone, as new rider is a great forum but there is a whole forum dedicated to larger riders :D

Just wanted to prevent a war breaking out here :rolleyes:

Fatties against skinnies:D :D :D, Well I wouldn't be in the Light Cavalry let's put it that way! :D :D!

On subject of horse size v rider size, I was looking at a Fell mare recently, with view to buy. She was 13.2 - I'm about 5' 6" and about 9stone 12. Anyway, my riding instructress/guru immediately said "Oh, that would be far too small for you - your legs would hang down, the wrong part would be in contact with the horse - you'd be unbalanced" (That was without seeing the horse.) You need upward of 14.2. Now I don't know. Didn't ride her for long, but felt kind of like an Icelandic. How do all those people who ride Icelandics manage then? Especially novices like me! Also what would you advise an older person to go for? This pony had fast active paces,(cf Icelandic) but she is nearer to the ground than a 15.+ slower paced horse. All psychological!!

Purple Hugs said:
Now THAT makes me feel better!

I was 17st 4 at xmas 2004. I am now 14 6 and am happy-ish with my weight (happier than at 17st - but would love to magic myself to 12stone or so...) ;)

I had wondered about my weight stopping me competing, but as you seem to be competing in the first pic, maybe it won't!

Do you wear your jacket for normal hacks etc?

I've seen hacking jackets for sale but never worn at my RS - and I always wonder what to wear whilst riding.. on my top half! Do you think this would be too formal?

Oh yes PH we are competing most weekends, I dont personally jump as I lost my nerve with that, but Im out dressage lots :) Infact we should have been out on Fri coming, but due to Zak having had a week off as he wasent right, Im leaving this week, and I shall compete him next week :)

There are much heavier people that us competing, trust me, as long as you are suitably mounted, there is nothing stopping you, stuff what everyone else thinks.

For example a lady on my yard is abit lighter than me, but she has a 13.1hh little cobby pony, he is fine with her, people take the micky out of her because she is abit tall and he is a pony etc, but they do 3 day events, and Mr Darcy dosent struggle at all, he would carry me in the school fine, he would jump with me fine, if I wanted to, so height really cant dictate weight carrying abilities either.

No I wear nice comfy jods, and normal tops, nice loose t shirts, sweatshirts etc for everyday riding, I dont think I have any pics, as most pics are taken competing, as Im normally there to ride on my own, except the one of me on Safi earlier on in this post, thats a rugby shirt, kind of thing I normally wear, hacking jackets/show jackets are saved for shows, they are no where near as comfy to ride in.

Oh just read the rest of the thread, on the mounting issue, even before I was heavier, I dident mount from the ground, I havent done so since I was about 15!

Its not good for the horses back, nor the saddle anyway, so we avoid mounting from the ground where possible.

MeMe said:
Oh yes PH we are competing most weekends, I dont personally jump as I lost my nerve with that, but Im out dressage lots :) Infact we should have been out on Fri coming, but due to Zak having had a week off as he wasent right, Im leaving this week, and I shall compete him next week :)

There are much heavier people that us competing, trust me, as long as you are suitably mounted, there is nothing stopping you, stuff what everyone else thinks.

For example a lady on my yard is abit lighter than me, but she has a 13.1hh little cobby pony, he is fine with her, people take the micky out of her because she is abit tall and he is a pony etc, but they do 3 day events, and Mr Darcy dosent struggle at all, he would carry me in the school fine, he would jump with me fine, if I wanted to, so height really cant dictate weight carrying abilities either.

No I wear nice comfy jods, and normal tops, nice loose t shirts, sweatshirts etc for everyday riding, I dont think I have any pics, as most pics are taken competing, as Im normally there to ride on my own, except the one of me on Safi earlier on in this post, thats a rugby shirt, kind of thing I normally wear, hacking jackets/show jackets are saved for shows, they are no where near as comfy to ride in.

Thanks MeMe there's some great tips for the future!

I am wearing a fleece zip up at the moment when riding, but am getting too warm as I'm trotting more and more. ;) Will need to find the 'right' sort of top, as have found some ride back whilst I'm riding and I don't like the sleeves too long.. :p I'll get there no doubt.

Did my first canter today, so the work load is definately upping itself from the walk trot, walk trot! hehe.

Maybe one day I'll compete, if I ever have a horse! Assuming I get to that level myself too. It's nice to know size won't go against me. :D

Great news about the mounting from the ground too!! ;) **Phew**

lol true! today I was freezing when I arrived as left my coat at home, but soon warmed up! ;)

The thing I like to avoid is the 'spare tyre' affect of being in jod's on horseback... :eek: so baggy t-shirts in the summer it is! :p

What size horse do you ride and how big are you?
What is the minimum you would ride?

I'm 5'4 and 13 stone 10. Although I am shrinking these days! :D
I am a new rider.. And as I ride the RS's horses I'm not sure what size horse would best suit me? :eek:

Any idea's?

(don't worry I'm not going horse shopping... just wondered when it comes to shares).

Thanks,

Hi, I'm 5 ft 4 and 8 stone and I ride a 14.2 welsh cob x (who is a little sturdier then she should be!) and also I'm bringing on a 16 hand friesian. Over the past few years I have ridden horses from around 13.2 to 16.2. I guess it all depends on what height you feel most comfortable at and which horse (when or if you want to think about buying) is right for you
Hope I helped!

Idk if my thing posted.
I’m about 9.5stone and 5’3. I wouldn’t ride anything smaller than 14.3 and they’d have to be on the stockier side(like a Cob or another heavy weight horse).
I wouldn’t say anything smaller than 15.1hh and a chunky, heavyweight horse would be perfect. Better to be on safe side with their size and your weight so the horse is happy and comfortable :)
This is a really old thread, if you want to discuss this you’d be better starting a new one.

newrider.com