Horses keeping their winter hair

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Just wondering if a horse is keeping its long winter hair for longer could it be a sign of an imbalance in diet/health?

Moët is moulting well, usual rate etc. but over the last two years I have noticed major is keeping his for longer and longer. His coat is currently really coarse and long, he looks almost 'neglected'...his weight is perfect though, he is bright and energetic...just wondering if the long hair remaining is a sign of something?

I'm glad you asked this Julie, Buffy is also hanging onto her winter coat....I thought it might be an age thing...didn't really consider cushings!

Looking forward to reading some more replies :smile:

Skin problems

Increased weeing

Lethargy in autumn particularly

Not being such a good doer

Looking "old"

Fat pockets above eyes

Curly coat

Increased foot sensitivity

Muscle tone lost quicker

Mood swings

They go on!!! :D

I have had to cut madams 4" beard off this week so I can zip her sniffy hood up!!! Hehe. Rest of her face is either bald or short haired apart from her beard!!

Was going to suggest PPID too. Testing is free at the moment if you use the voucher here http://www.talkaboutlaminitis.co.uk/ so you just pay for the vet callout. I had mine done a few weeks ago, Rio came out borderline and I'll test her again in the autumn. Her only signs are being a little bit footy (you wouldn't notice if she was shod) and hanging on to her remains of her winter beard and long hairs on the backs of her legs for longer than usual. Other than that she's a picture of health.

Could be something, could be not.

Mine are all hanging onto their coats this year and are varying ages. One minute its coming out, and the next its not.

Usually by this time Evie has lost all her winter fluff but she is hanging onto it. She does however look extremely well in herself, better than she has for ages. Being half Highland I think she has flourished with the colder weather:cold: Often she just gets too hot down here in the south.

Summers takes ages to come out, especially the final cat hairs.

Cherie is sort of loosing hers but looks a bit moth eaten.

I want to get Blaze tested too as i think he has cushings, his coat is still very long, he's moody, sensitive and looks old these days.

I am often at the RHS in June with a winter caot hanging on. I clipped them both once in the hope I would have a summer coat by June......nope, all I got was a crappy half grown out clip which looked worse.

I am often at the RHS in June with a winter caot hanging on. I clipped them both once in the hope I would have a summer coat by June......nope, all I got was a crappy half grown out clip which looked worse.

You do live in the arctic circle though!! :giggle: can't blame the poor lads :p hehe

When Solly got older he hung on to his winter coat, and even his summer one was too thick, definitely cushings related although he tested negative. I have my suspicions that the bloods taken were not ideal or maybe it was a problem because they had to be quickly got over to England for testing back in the day.

He also developed many of the other symptoms that PF listed over his last few years. I actually clipped him right through the summer and winter the last 2 years as he just got too hot and sweaty otherwise.

Sollys was like your pics even in the summer if I didnt clip him, he just never really shed at all. Plus it was so very thick I could barely get even a mane comb through it either. Is Major's thicker than it used to be too?

Doesn't seem thick as such, it's just really long and not moulting...I'm def gonna get him cushings tested in June to eliminate it.

This was his coat in september two summers ago though so it does go just seems to be taking alot longer to lose the long hairs the last few years

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368644594.196656.jpg

newrider.com