How can you tell if a lump is a sarcoid or not?

Lobelia Overhill

Oct 14, 2004
I found a lump on my horse's 'groin' today I'm 99% certain it wasn't there before, it's about a half inch in diameter, and a fairly big rounded 'dome' of a lump - he didn't like me touching it at all! It's in an area where there's hair and the lump is covered in hair, I could feel a couple of smaller 'polyps' around the lump as well ...

I didn't have my camera with me so I couldn't take a pic. I did give him a good check over when I bought him and don't remember seeing/feeling anything there before.

Execellent artical in your horse this month about sacroid. Have a read it might help. But of it is the vets are a must the sooner the better.

Good luck

This is a link to the site I found most useful when I first discovered Joy's sarcoid although the've changed it since I discovered it.

There are a number of different types and this has pics of them and lots of useful info.

That doesn't make up for a vet opinion though, I'd be getting one in asap as the smaller it is the easier it can be to get rid ;)

http://www.liv.ac.uk/sarcoids/introduction/index.htm

Execellent artical in your horse this month about sacroid. Have a read it might help. But of it is the vets are a must the sooner the better.

Good luck

That's what's prompted my concern, those photos were sickening! :eek:

This is a link to the site I found most useful when I first discovered Joy's sarcoid although the've changed it since I discovered it.

There are a number of different types and this has pics of them and lots of useful info.

That doesn't make up for a vet opinion though, I'd be getting one in asap as the smaller it is the easier it can be to get rid ;)

http://www.liv.ac.uk/sarcoids/introduction/index.htm

Thanks for that!

I too read the article and was gonna suggest reading it to you but if you've already seen it.......I'd prob check with my vet - apparently if they treat them at the early stage there is a better chance of getting shut.

I have known a couple of horses with them in various places. The Liverpool cream was very successful for one of them - tho I believe tis very expensive.

newrider.com