how does insurance work?

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
sorry this is going to sound realy stupid, but ive never been in a situation like this before :rolleyes:

how do you claim vet stuff on insurance?!

do they pay per 'treatment' (ie this could include multiple visists connected to the same thing that turn up on the same bill)? do they settle stuff directly with the vet?

ive been with the NFU for two years , but never had to claim or anything ....

also worried that, since things 'related to sweet itch' are excluded, this might include *any* allergy related stuff ...

Julia
x

we claimed off our insurance with bonnies first bout of laminitis. They paid for all the vet visits and treatment until she was declared well again then slapped an exclusion on her policy :rolleyes: i've a feeling that the vet and insurance company (NFU) dealt with each other over bill payment, but i can't remember for sure.

i knew a family with a pony who'd an injured leg. their insurance had put a time limit on the length of time they'd pay for the treatment, and after that period expired it was up to the owners to pay the rest of the bills.

im aware of exclusions, so i am currently waiting for the bill and will then decide whether to claim or not. should i get in touch with the insurer now (before i got a bill) or juust wait for the bill and then submit that to them somehow?

(i feel SO stupid asking all this ...)

Julia
x

Hi, I'm with PetPlan so it may differ but on the claims I've made I've submitted a claim form (the vet fills in the reverse side) then mailed it direct to the ins company together with the vet's invoice. They send me a cheque - less the excess. I settle the vet bills myself on the date they're due.

For multiple visits the insurance company gives a claim reference and all future claims are submitted under this reference.

Sorry, unsure about exclusions relating to sweet itch, etc.

Hope this helps.

K

Julia, I'd wait for the bill then decide if its worth claiming. On our insurance the excess is £115 per claim which makes it not worth claiming for most vet visits. If its worth claiming then you'll probably need to send a claim form along with your bill.

Well I guess you could give them a call and ask for a claim form but you won't be able to claim until you get the vet's bill.

How does insurance work?

Well, from my experience you pay your premium faithfully, month after month, and then - when you want to claim - the insurance company do their very best to wiggle out of paying you anything! Then, when they do eventually agree to pay something, they deduct so much as an excess that it wasn't worth your while to claim in the first place!

Sorry, do I sound bitter :D :D

I never had any problems claiming from my insurance, even when Fire was PTS. However, I did keep them informed right from the start about what was happening and why.. As this can be difficult, I actually insured through a broker, Just Equestrian, which meant I always had a fellow horse owner to talk to, and they talked to the insurers...

Ross

We have just had a huge vet bill paid by our insurance company (KBIS) and were asked to keep them informed if any further treatment was necessary. I rang our insurance company as soon as our pony was injured and kept them informed all the way through. They were brilliant and also very helpful.

newrider.com