How does your horse tell you when it's time to come in?

Tobes stands by the gate putting his leg through it :banghead::banghead:

He gets most upset if someone else comes in before him, and rushes down the drive and can't wait to get into bed, have supper and tuck into his haynet.

This is how he was at his last yard - can't imagine that he will be any different at this one. He is always ready to go out in the morning, but loves a thick dry bed and a massive haynet when there is no grass in the fields and it is cold and raining.

I'm not sure with Kev yet, but he doesn't have a stable, so tough really!!

He is currently out naked in the wind & rain, all fluffed up and toasty enough. I'm trying not to rug until I clip (although it does make me feel guilty when the rest of the yard is tugging up.....I'm constantly questioning my judgement)

I do what's best for my horse rather than follow the yard, as it happens mine lives out with ex racers, but some come in.

He is currently out naked in the wind & rain, all fluffed up and toasty enough. I'm trying not to rug until I clip (although it does make me feel guilty when the rest of the yard is tugging up.....I'm constantly questioning my judgement)

It is hard to go against the grain. I put Bens grazing muzzle on today as his field is becoming bright green with the rain and there is loads of grass. However, every other horse was rugged and most were being brought in as it started to rain, while I was turning him out.

I just have to think back to what the vet told me and how overweight I let him get last year because I was following what everyone else was doing. Ben cannot be treated in the same way as the fast majority of horses or he would become so fat he would explode!

I thank god my 2 are hard as nails and don't appreciate being cooped up in a stable. Of course when I lose my grazing and find it impossible to find anything other than DIY with restricted grazing.

It is hard to go against the grain. I put Bens grazing muzzle on today as his field is becoming bright green with the rain and there is loads of grass. However, every other horse was rugged and most were being brought in as it started to rain, while I was turning him out.

I just have to think back to what the vet told me and how overweight I let him get last year because I was following what everyone else was doing. Ben cannot be treated in the same way as the fast majority of horses or he would become so fat he would explode!

It is really difficult, and as a first time owner who isn't really sure what my horse is going to do in terms of weight I really agonise over decisions. I just have to remind myself that when I bought him in May he was still a fluff ball and a little porky after a winter out with no rugs or feed (granted with no work either).

If he was a chunky cob type it would be a no brainer to keep him naked with a token feed only....but I seem to have ended up with a fine-ish part arab who appears to be a good doer :unsure:

I'm living by the mantra 'rather too cold than too warm'....

newrider.com