How long do you expect rugs to last?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
My insurance says 3 years. I've had some that I've had 10 years or more but I had a suprise a few years ago when Bo ripped one of his mw's right open, it was 7/8 years old, a good brand and still looked fab from the outside but on the inside the filling had disintegrated, it wasn't the thick fluffy wadding anymore, just strings of it holding patches together mostly round the seams, I'd have been none the wiser that I was effectively using a no fill (there was none left over the back) when I thought I was putting a mw on him.
Now I treat older mw as light-med :) just thought I'd share :p

Mine tend to get through 2 winters, by then they've usually ripped them beyond economical repair, I don't buy expensive rugs. Maybe rugs like the premier equine ones last longer.

Reactions: Jessey
I guess it depends on how much use they get as mine have rugs ten years old and they are still like new due to hardly any use. I think on average I'd expect a couple of winters if they were worn most days in the winter. Fleeces last forever, well mine do!

I have some Rambo Rugs in good order that are 15 years old, Been repaired, but still servicable

The mark todd mentioned above still looked perfect, was waterproof etc, it was only when opened up I found the stuffing was virtually gone, seen it with other good brands too, look perfect from the outside but they have deteriorated internally.

I had mice feasting on one of Joe's rugs at the old place. They had gathered loads of my pet pigeons grain and decided to live in the tack room trunk. That was very annoying, ruined rug minus lots of stuffing.

Reactions: Jessey
Ive always been fond of weatherbeetas when I had the big chunks. They fitted lovely. We found the one Posy has this time to come up short and the middle surcingle didn't even go round her belly! I learnt that they did the 5'6 in a pony range and a horse range which Id never heard of before! Now she has an an Amigo rug on ordered, Ive always liked those. I do have very difficult to fit equines !! Posy is small in height but like a full on cob in a compact body with stumpy legs!

My youngster managed to trash 3 in 2 months last winter. One of which I had used on chunky for 9 years. It depends on the horse I think for starters. But rug quality does also play a big part.

on average about 3-4 yrs really. Although I have some from 10 yrs ago (Rambo ones) that you attach the liner too.

I only tend to use the LW or no fill ones though.

newrider.com