How long to walk a 7mth Foal for

_Kirstie_

Jan 4, 2017
Hi All.
I'm new here :)

I have a 7mth Dartmoor Foal that I want to start getting out and about to experience the world a bit.

This is my first youngster so I just wanted advice from people on how long I should walk him out for.

I know with puppies they say you should go for longer than 2mins until they are a year old, is their a guideline with foals?

Thanks

At that age I wouldn't be walking out at all. The most I'd be doing is some short regular handling so he's used to being touched all over & having his feet picked up.

Reactions: Frances144
He has all this done with him daily, he picks all 4 feet up and has them picked out daily too. I want to get Him used to traffic so that he is used to it and it isn't such a massive shock to him as he gets older.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Babies of any species should just be allowed to be babies. If you are that desperate to get your baby used to traffic just stand in safety by a road and let them watch it. Don't expect them to go round the block at that age. It's not fair

Don't run with him before he can walk. Handling is the key to trust. Horses are flight creatures and takes them time to trust

Reactions: carthorse
Can I ask why you say that. I'm genuinely asking why as I haven't had a Yongster before so I want to get advice and opinions. Thanks
Because they have soft bones and the attention span of a gnat. It's waaaay to early to be doing anything structured other than general handling and picking up feet occasionally. They need to eat, play and investigate the world at liberty, not on the end of a lead rope.

Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask if you have never had a young horse before, why have you gone and bought one that's just been weaned from mum?
I admit we all start somewhere, but this one needs another three years before you can consider backing.

I wouldn't be doing anything much, very basic things and letting them be a foal. Who are they living with, other horses are best at teaching other horses..

Reactions: Traylou
Well I actually disagree with some points about how much you could be doing right now, that will pay off big time in 3 years or so.. I don;t agree with overloading their young minds with too much information etc. and would never actually 'start' anything much before its 3rd birthday ...BUT..I really dont see short and gentle ambling for moderate distances as doing too much at all with a foal. After all if you are already taking the mare and foal to shows etc, you very soon ensure it will lead nicely and sensibly, so what is the difference here - if you are walking them out on the showground with their dam..or a couple of months further down the line, when it has been weaned, out and about around the immediate vicinity of where you keep the foal - obviously not dragging it along the road next to jugganauts etc. :rolleyes:

Back in the day when I had youngsters around, after initial handling when they are weaned and getting them very used to walking nicely in a head collar around the yard - I would very often walk foals of this age up the bridleway from their field and just allowed them to stand and graze at the side of the hedgerow whilst traffic buzzed past , very often myself or another family member would ride a trusty old timer up alongside them for reassurance to start with.- total distance probably about 500 metres or so there and another 500 metres back......usually then just faff about brushing them before going back in their field. Huge help when later down the line you start taking them off the property and out into the big wide world IMO.

But as always we all differ hugely in what we would and wouldn't do, so long as nothing is harming the horse or foal in this instance, then I would do as I have outlined above. :)

Reactions: _Kirstie_
Lead him to and from the field, Groom him, pick out his feet, load him into a trailer maybe, then unload him, but then put him back out with other horses to play and grow up.

Maybe take him to an inhand show this year. everything you do needs to be short and sweet.

Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask if you have never had a young horse before, why have you gone and bought one that's just been weaned from mum?
I admit we all start somewhere, but this one needs another three years before you can consider backing.

I wouldn't be doing anything much, very basic things and letting them be a foal. Who are they living with, other horses are best at teaching other horses..
I have had horses most of my life, have been around youngsters and have always wanted a baby as a blank canvass to teach and nurture.

We do all have to start somewhere and this is where I'm starting. I would rather have got a baby just weaned from mum than to have bought one that is 2/3 years old and not knowing their background. I have had contact with my boy since seeing him as a wild pony on the moors, I know exactly where he has come from and witnessed the 2 weeks handling he had prior to him coming to me. In that time I was the first one to touch him and the first one to put a lead rope on and agin the first one to walk him in hand.

I would rather ask questions that I'm unsure about than go ahead and do things and it causing problems for him later on.

Well I actually disagree with some points about how much you could be doing right now, that will pay off big time in 3 years or so.. I don;t agree with overloading their young minds with too much information etc. and would never actually 'start' anything much before its 3rd birthday ...BUT..I really dont see short and gentle ambling for moderate distances as doing too much at all with a foal. After all if you are already taking the mare and foal to shows etc, you very soon ensure it will lead nicely and sensibly, so what is the difference here - if you are walking them out on the showground with their dam..or a couple of months further down the line, when it has been weaned, out and about around the immediate vicinity of where you keep the foal - obviously not dragging it along the road next to jugganauts etc. :rolleyes:

Back in the day when I had youngsters around, after initial handling when they are weaned and getting them very used to walking nicely in a head collar around the yard - I would very often walk foals of this age up the bridleway from their field and just allowed them to stand and graze at the side of the hedgerow whilst traffic buzzed past , very often myself or another family member would ride a trusty old timer up alongside them for reassurance to start with.- total distance probably about 500 metres or so there and another 500 metres back......usually then just faff about brushing them before going back in their field. Huge help when later down the line you start taking them off the property and out into the big wide world IMO.

But as always we all differ hugely in what we would and wouldn't do, so long as nothing is harming the horse or foal in this instance, then I would do as I have outlined above. :)
Thank you for your reply.

I have done lots of handling with him from the moment I got him home. I wasn't going to leave him in a field to carry on being a wild pony that I then couldn't get near.
I think I have done pretty well with him up until now. He can be touched all over, he picks all 4 feet and has them picked out.

He has had coats dropped over him and plastic bags rustled near him and he doesn't bat an eyelid.
I have taken him on walks around the yard and have stood at the top of the lane and again, he isn't phased.

I don't want to cause problems later down the line but on the same hand, I don't want to not do anything and it be all the more scary when he is that big older,
He does trust me as proven in the things I have done with him so far and that he has trusted me not to cause any harm to him.

If he is unsure he will stand right by my side, literally on top of me to get the reassurance and once he has had and stroke and some encouragement, he gets on with it.

I want to take him out showing come spring and the last thing I want is to take him out with loads of vehicles around us and he panics because he hasn't been exposed to anything like it.

Ahem..... PICTURES????!!!!!

I know with puppies they say you should go for longer than 2mins until they are a year old, is their a guideline with foals?

Thanks

Recipe for stir crazy, furniture chewing and obese dogs!! Surely no-one refuses to let older pups and young dogs more than 2 minutes running around! As for foals, I had one from weaning at 6 months and the yearling he was put with on weaning. I was on quite a big yard and the walk from their field to the main stables was up a lane that cars used. They walked up and down there from day 1. Other than that, I didn't do a lot with them till 2ish. They aren't as fat as they look. It was mostly floof!! To be honest we did not 'train' the foals but we did not over-protect them either. They walked past noisy machinery, pigs etc. They had kids all round them regularly. They were just around when we were unwrapping haylage bales, covering hay with tarps etc etc. Made for very chilled out, relaxed ponies who never caused anyone any hassle and were friendly, confident and laid back.

avatar12_2008.jpg DSC05206(2).jpg

Recipe for stir crazy, furniture chewing and obese dogs!! Surely no-one refuses to let older pups and young dogs more than 2 minutes running around! As for foals, I had one from weaning at 6 months and the yearling he was put with on weaning. I was on quite a big yard and the walk from their field to the main stables was up a lane that cars used. They walked up and down there from day 1. Other than that, I didn't do a lot with them till 2ish. They aren't as fat as they look. It was mostly floof!! To be honest we did not 'train' the foals but we did not over-protect them either. They walked past noisy machinery, pigs etc. They had kids all round them regularly. They were just around when we were unwrapping haylage bales, covering hay with tarps etc etc. Made for very chilled out, relaxed ponies who never caused anyone any hassle and were friendly, confident and laid back.

View attachment 84805 View attachment 84806
Haha, that was meant to say 20mins! My boy is used to tractors as was on a farm for. Few weeks and had a tractor parking daily in the open bay next to his stable.

My boy adores my son and loves to nuzzle with him, my son grooms him and picks up his front feet.

View attachment 84805 View attachment 84806

I am not a foal person I'll be honest. I prefer them around two when I can get started with groundwork.
I got my lass direct from her breeder so I know her history and attitude.

So he came from the October drifts? I know people who have had foals like that and they turned into lovely children's ponies.

I am not a foal person I'll be honest. I prefer them around two when I can get started with groundwork.
I got my lass direct from her breeder so I know her history and attitude.

So he came from the October drifts? I know people who have had foals like that and they turned into lovely children's ponies.
Yes he did come from the October Drifts. Dartmoors make brilliant children's ponies :)

My Aunt has foals from the drift every year. She gets them tame and trusting then they move on to be started for ridden careers. She's the opposite of you, @newforest ! Loves them little then makes room for more babies whenever they get to about 2!

newrider.com