how many of us are only scaired a little bit?

lorren124

Jun 2, 2009
ive been looking through and reading the nerveous nellies thread and it got me thinking about how many people out there are oly scaired a little bit?
as there are some people that will jump 5ft but wont go on a hack, there are others that will hack for hours but wont pop a small log.

i count myself as a little bit scaired, i will hack out on my own and with company, i walk trot and canter on my own or with company, i will jump a small cross contry course or jumps of no bigger that 2ft.

and i will only gallop with someone and up hill only. (due to nasty fall)
and any jump over 2ft scaire me, i will get there gradually as im jumpng a bit bigger each time.

are there many of us out there, the ones who arnt really scaired everyday, but have some issues with certain things??

The only thing that makes me nervous is jumping, I can do it with an RI but on my own I wimp out everytime. Daft, as with an RI in May I did XC up to 2ft 6 and a few that were 2ft 9, so I can do it. But anything over 18 inches has me scared.

I hack off road and on road, all paces and will ride in the school, field and big open spaces. I don't consider myself to be nervous with anyting else, I just have a mental block with jumping due to me not practicing I think :eek:

After 27 years together there is not much which my old lad can do which scares me. We ride on roads, fields, gallops etc, he doesn't have brakes but I trust in his sense of self preservation. We even jump occasionally.

Trouble is riding anything else at all, even ones much quieter than him scares me these days. When he eventually retires I doubt if I will ride again.

I don't have my own neddy but I'm comfortable with most things, hacking jumping though I've not really jumped much in recent years I am willing, the one thing that always worries me is fine built horses, yes you heard right. Give me a chunky monkey an I'll do anything but on a narrow horse I just don't feel at all secure and am wary about pretty much everything.

I'm sacred of riding on the roads, my old pony used to tank off with me when I took her out - although nothing ever happened, I still don't like going out on the roads! I don't want to take my new lad out as he's young and a bit thick and likely to spook (all four feet off the ground and spin around) at the slightest thing.

I'm not very keen on jumping, I lost my nerve umpteen years ago when a pony threw me, but I did develop a taste for cross country with my old pony!! She was big into galloping and jumping and I just held on and steered :)

Ok, I'll join in - I used to be a really nervous nelly but have slowly gained confidence on my loan horse so I'm now fine with cantering and galloping, jumping small jumps (big ones scare me but that's ok because I don't have to jump them!), love hacking out with others, am starting to enjoy hacking out on my own on the bridlepath that we know well (still scared at the thought of going further afield alone). I'll have a go at most stuff with RI there - I feel so much braver when he's around to tell me what's right and what's wrong. Likewise with my horse - I'm happy on him but can't imagine being brave enough to do much on another one.

However I'm always aware that this new-found confidence is a very fragile thing - if anything bad were to happen I know I'd be a trembling wreck again!

I will w/t/c/g in the arena but won't jump Daze. She hates jumping and stops and runs out too much, so I don't have much confidence jumping here. But she's retired from jumping now. If you put me on another horse and tell me the horse will jump, I'll go up to 80cm.

I am a nervous hacker and won't do more than walk and the odd trot, but no cantering as Daze gets very excited. But otherwise, I feel I'm pretty confident, especially on my own horse.

Im only a little bit nervous - a little bit nervous of riding in th paddock, a little bit nervous of riding on the road, a little bit nervous of riding out alone, a little bit nervous of............:D need I say more?:p

when i was younger say up to 20 I'd jump bins in the wood not knowing what was on the other side, id always want to be the last to go for the blast so my horse got too excited etc etc, i had no fear! If i fell off, i laughed and got back on!!!

Now, im 25, I wouldnt say im scared of anything more aware and think about things more, leading me to not do as much, because i think like an adult and the what ifs!! Plus i have responcibilties now!

i used to be terrible! i would wet myself at the slightes thing :eek: :rolleyes: but now my confidence is fab! i ride pretty much anything. they only thing is i dotn really have any jumping expirience ( dont ride at a riding school and where i ride its more dessage and schoolign and hackign) although if i get on something i know and is expirienced in jumpign i love it :D

today [& those of you in the nrevous nellie club will know that confidence ebbs & flows:rolleyes:] would say that with big hoss ruby am generally ok - altho solo hacking is not my favourite thing - i can push myself to do it BUT sadly with the new boy am still a very firm member of the nervous club.... but onwards & upwards:)

I avoid hacking alone at all if I can, but at a push sometimes do 1/2 mile to my lesson.

First month of having Ed I was definitely in the Nervous Nellie club, now think I've moved into the 'scared a little bit club'. Hadn't thought about that change, but on reflection it's real progress:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Might move back to the NN club when I go on my next faster ride cross country - he becomes a strong boy, and I'm just not used to him yet in these situations. Also, first jumping lesson on him is scheduled 24th - will let you know which club that fits into after I've done it:eek::D (will only be ickle cross poles to start with)

The only thing that makes me nervous is jumping, I can do it with an RI but on my own I wimp out everytime. Daft, as with an RI in May I did XC up to 2ft 6 and a few that were 2ft 9, so I can do it. But anything over 18 inches has me scared.

I hack off road and on road, all paces and will ride in the school, field and big open spaces. I don't consider myself to be nervous with anyting else, I just have a mental block with jumping due to me not practicing I think :eek:

I am totally with you on that. The biggest I've ever jumped is 2ft - and only in a lesson. We did it 3 times - each from a standstill or a trot. Don't know how I didn't fall off. That has put me off jumping now. I will do it - but not on my own, I get tense and Maple feels it. She's never refused a jump when we have a lesson but on our own she has been a nightmare. She must know I don't really want to do it but I forced myself cos her owner went to all the trouble of getting her jumping blocks back from her friend she'd lent them to ages ago..... :eek: So I HAD to do it. I think she refused 4 times then I really kicked her over it and she jumped from a canter (I was only wanting her to trot) and galloped off right up the field with me towards the gate!!!:mad: So now I know what happens when we do jumping on our own it's made me even more nervous. :rolleyes:

But I also hack out alone, go at all paces fairly confidently and will do jumping in lessons - just not on my own! :p

Im only a little bit nervous - a little bit nervous of riding in th paddock, a little bit nervous of riding on the road, a little bit nervous of riding out alone, a little bit nervous of............:D need I say more?:p

That's me too!!!! LOL but I also think that as you get older we KNOW it hurts if it goes pear shaped!!!

when i returned to riding i wasnt scared or nervous of anything, remebering the last time i rode, I was pretty confident...however, the horses at my RS are lazy oafs, and i dont just mean when i ride them, when good riders ride them they are loathe to move, its very hard work indeed...anyhow....when jumping in the school Im abit less confident than I thought, as Im always expecting the refusal, most of the horses canter lazily to the jump, pause, then jump:rolleyes:
no amount of leg changes this (there are a few more fizzy horses, but they arent schooled right, they just cart you about) The funny thing is, when doing CC jumping, I have nerves of steel, part from jumps with a drop on other side:p

Can't really think of anything that makes me nervous with my horse. We pretty much tackle anything. she has never been the best jumper, but got a lot better and really got into it (before lameness and haven't dared push her again yet, don't want to hurt her). I have been in quite a few scarey situations, where for some reason I go into cope mode, and Rhia just amazes me with how sensible she becomes. She will go past anything. Will always have a look first, I wouldn't say she is bombproof by a long way, but I know her well enough to know how she will react to pretty much everything. One of our favourite things is going on an adventure hack- somewhere we don't know, and having to just deal with it, and deal with the terrain. I know hacking can scare a lot of people and tbh, I wouldn't do some of the things I have done with her on any other horse. Like getting stuck on a really steep hill when we found a quary in some woods near our yard (not been there long) and I had to get off and ask her to come down sideways, making side steps, as she just slid at first it was so steep. Wouldn't repeat that, but it really showed her willingness to listen and be sensible.. so after all that. I would be a little scared if I didn't have such a rock of an adventure friend :)

Not scared of day to day riding on any horse :) Open spaces etc all fine.

Can get nervous about jumping 2ft6+.

Get really nervous at jumping competitions :( especially if they are at home and everyone is watching:rolleyes:

newrider.com