How much can a horse pull?

Widget

Mar 29, 2004
Weston super mare
Visit site
Is there a formula to work it out? My cob is 15.1HH and quite chunky with stumpy legs. Normal traditional coloured gypsy cob really. If She was broken to drive what sort of thing could she pull with how many people? My OH wont ride and I have a romantic idea of sunny afternoons out with the horse and cart!

I'll tell you tonight when I meet the lady in person!!

I am coming up aswell in case you hadn't already gathered.

By the way your horse wouldn't have a problem being broken to drive I don't think.

A Shetland can manage you, two others and a dog. in a cart weighing just over 100kgs. Done it loads of times.

A 15hh cob should manage a brougham and 4 passengers plus driver.

Wally said:

Blimey, I'll stop feeling guilty when I take Crofter out with DH (we're both on the "voluptuous" side so I do worry!!)

A re you feeling guilty?

A 15hh horse should be able to pull this without problem

Attachments

• brougham.jpg
    brougham.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 46
I suppose pulling is easier than carrying. I wouldnt want anything fancy and I wont be getting anything at all for a long time due to lack of cash but I can practice longreining on the road and poss borrow a harness. Right im off to convince OH that there really is a horsey activity that wont involve galloping or falling off!

Generally the bigger the wheels the easier it is for the horse to pull, and you get a comfier ride. The WORST is car wheels, they are hell on wheels :)D :D :D) for a horse to pull.

In a 2 wheeler there should be no weight to speak of on his back, once he has the vehicle rolling it is easy to keep it moving. Up hill with a big 4 wheeler is for a more experienced horse, not a new comer to pulling.

My two Shetlands can gallop up a one in four hill with the 4 wheeler, 3 passengers faster than an unfit stallion can gallop up it.

as long as your horse has chunky legs it shudnt have a problem pulling any weight i know some people who have horses that are only 14.3 and they pull bowtops

A Shetland can manage you, two others and a dog. in a cart weighing just over 100kgs. Done it loads of times.

I once read that, pound for pound, shetlands are stronger than shires. Don't know if this is true.

Any driving horse should be able to pull one and a half times his own weight. So a pair of Shetlands can pull well over half a tonne if they are big chaps....in theory.....we like theory, 'tis a wonderful thing!

This is from Finland in the 1930's.. The sledge helps a lot but the horses used to pull this sort of stuff sometimes for as long as there was daylight (which in Finland during winter is not much but still!)

We use our Finnish horse for forrest work too, but not to this sort of amounts.. :p

Nina x

Attachments

• workhorse.jpg
    workhorse.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 20
I hope they have a hefty anchour to throw out the back going down hill, ;)

Here's what a working Shetland should be up to without blinking.

Attachments

• roses.jpg
    roses.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
My friends stocky mini could pull a buggy with two fullgrown people and she had no problem with that if thats anything to go by...i'm no expert on driving

I just found this from a draft horse website: "At the Wembley Exhibition in 1924 a pair of Shires pulling against a dynameter (an instrument for measuring power) exceeded the maximum reading. It was estimated that they had exerted a pull capable of moving 50 tons."

I knew it was a big figure, I remember reading about it earlier, but didn't remember it was THAT big..!

And Wally, no they don't have an anchor.. :p The horses slow the sledge down with their hindlegs, hence they must be trained very well before putting in front of a heavy load, otherwise they'll end up hurting themselves!

Nina x

Is there a formula to work it out? My cob is 15.1HH and quite chunky with stumpy legs. Normal traditional coloured gypsy cob really. If She was broken to drive what sort of thing could she pull with how many people? My OH wont ride and I have a romantic idea of sunny afternoons out with the horse and cart!

Rather oddly, "Horse Power", by which car engines used to be measured apparently referred to how much a horse could lift rather than pull. Most peculiar I thought when I first heard this.

...with his hands.....sorry, ...I'll go away now and hide in a dark corner! :D :D :D
15 hands lifts a lot many hand smake light work.......going away now!

newrider.com