How much hay?

depends on their weight. my boy is 280kgs. 2 percent of his body weight is between 5 and 6 kgs total food per day. I give 2kgs morning and 3kgs night.

I substitute 1kg dengie hi fi lite (for lamanitics) in the morning and 1kg dengie at night then give 1kg hay morning and 2kgs hay night if the hay is running low.

Dengie is more expensive than hay so I prefer to give all hay and a handful of dengie if we have plenty hay.

You need to weigh them with a tape.

As soon as the grass comes I will be muzzling during the day and cut down their hay and dengie by about 1kg per week for 5 weeks until he is on grass during the day then 1kg hay at night. (He always stays in at night to keep his grasss intake low)

use a kitchen scale and put the food or slice of hay in a bucket on top, dont forget to subtract the weight of the bucket!

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to know your pony's weight, then the reommended minimum feed is usually 1.5 - 2% of their body weight.

If by safe you mean not putting weight on I'd say they could have ad lib soaked hay it puts no weight on at all. And is much better for them pysically and mentally.:)

newrider.com