How much hay?

Bimbambo

Bea - My Boy Freddy's Mum
May 16, 2006
Essex
We are in the proccess of moving from a part livery yard to DIY - yay!

Am working out my final costings but am not sure how many bales of hay I should budget for a week during winter?

He is a 14h pony who is also on one hard feed a day and will be on t/out for a couple of hours most days.

thanks everyone.

The horses where mine is are on about 2 sections per night (mines on 1-1.5 as he is a baby and thats all he eats at the mo) but they are out all day from early til dark so I guess you will prob need to feed 3/4 sections per day at least? But then Iguess each horse varies, have you asked the yard how much they feed him now?
Im just guessing though!

If your feeding round bales, they should last about a month.

Mine has an all you can eat buffet (i.e. hay feeder!) plus a wheelbarrow full of hay in his stable for during the night and no hard feed except for treats, not sure how much that actually costs though as it's inc. in livery.

I'd say if you're feeding small square bales, probably 2 slices in the morning and 2 slices in the evening would be enough.

I am using on average 2 1/2 -3 bales a week at moment for a pony the same size and he has turn out from 9 am till 3pm. I do not put hay out for him yet as i have done it twice and had to remove it and throw it away as he is still not interested in it in the paddock, there is still a fair bit of grass left. I do stuff his net to the brim though and there is always some left in the morning. Sorry i forgot to add that mine had 2 hard feeds a day but small portions which consist of chaff, nuts, mix and beet x

puzzle has 2 sections a night (14.2hh) hes just been let onto a rested field though so if he stuffs himself i will cut that down too! he also has 2 hard feeds a day, it does depend on the individual horse though.

With only a couple of hours turnout a day, I'd expect you will be getting through at least 3 bales of hay a week. I get through 2.5 bales with a 16.1 gannet warmblood, but she gets turnout from 7am until 4pm. 4 sections a night roughly.

newrider.com