How much salt do you feed your horse?

My two have Himalayan salt licks and use them a lot, especially in hot weather. I didn't know I was supposed to feed extra :(
Belle too, I’ve been reading about this as was worrying after I read the thread, it seems for most leisure horses a lick, providing they use it should be enough, depends if they sweat a lot too though.
Belle drinks plenty, appears healthy and licks her block plenty, we don’t do enough ‘work’ these days for her to get sweaty so I figure she is probably just fine.

I'm a bit late to this thread but I have just started putting salt in Williams feed.
We have just had a physio out because I felt he was having problems moving properly and she found issues in his back and he has shortened paces so she recommended a vet check him which he is in a couple of weeks. So I've been doing my usual Google searching and so many of his symptoms show up as a salt deficiency! He may have other physical problems but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the salt help. (Sorry for the long reply)

I'm a bit late to this thread but I have just started putting salt in Williams feed.
We have just had a physio out because I felt he was having problems moving properly and she found issues in his back and he has shortened paces so she recommended a vet check him which he is in a couple of weeks. So I've been doing my usual Google searching and so many of his symptoms show up as a salt deficiency! He may have other physical problems but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the salt help. (Sorry for the long reply)

That's interesting, hope the salt helps.

I live by the sea. When there is a storm, salt is coated on everything. The boys have a salt block hung on their gate which they sometimes amble up to and lick. I guess as they don’t have hard feed, it would be hard to add it to. When we go south, we do take a salt lick.

Is there any science based research to support that they need more in their feed?

newrider.com
Back