How much sugar do you eat?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I decided to work mine out yesterday...

Breakfast 43.8g
Lunch 91.2g!!!!
Dinner 6g

So in one day I had at least 140g, I think the guideline is a Max of 90!

Yikes I dread to think how much I eat on days where I have a bag of haribo or something. So I'm going to try and cut down and keep below the 90!

Today I had a fruit smoothie for breakfast and dry crumpets. Lunch was dried fruit and a banana and crisps.

Breakfast 30g
Lunch 40g
Which leaves me a maximum of 20g for the rest of the day. Think I'm going to cut out on dried fruit and maybe even loose the smoothie although I do enjoy it so will see.

Anyone else fancy working out how much sugar they eat? No wonder I am always suffering mood swings and no energy I must be eating a huge amount most days!!

No idea - I have sugar in tea/coffee though and have about 6 cups a day. Other than that, I don't have a particularly sweet tooth. There's a lot of sugar in wine though!

Roughly anywhere between 50-75g on most of my good days. It tends to be from fruit but I think I need to cut down and try to keep it near the 50g mark more often.

Oh funny you should ask this as I decided to give up sugar and go cold turkey last Friday. I have a very sweet tooth and generally start my day with a sugar-laden breakfast, snack on sweet stuff in between my meals and always have something sweet as a pudding at lunch and tea. Plus I am partial to a "snowball" in the evening (advocaat and lemonade with a couple of cherries) and a half litre bottle or two of diet Pepsi a week, plus three black coffees each day with a sweetener tablet. I work really hard at the yard but I don't lose weight as I eat the equivalent of burned calories in sweets, cakes, biscuits or chocolate. So rather than cut down, I decided to ditch the sugar completely, to see what a difference it makes to my wellbeing as well as my weight.

I'm still eating cornflakes for breakfast - which I know contain sugar, but I'm not adding my own, I've ditched the sweetener in coffee and dropped to just one cup a day. Lunch is a sandwich on wholemeal bread and I have a normal tea - which is usually a version of meat and three veg. No puds, crap or fruit, but lots of veg. Drinking water and my usual green tea. So a massive change of diet for me. I have three apples in my fridge for any massive sugar cravings but surprisingly I'm doing OK. Had a headache for three days and feel irritable and sluggish but I know these are the withdrawal symptoms and will pass. I thought I'd give it a month and then re-assess. 4lbs off already too!

I just read the labels on food I ate and looked up the values for fruit and veg.

I'm going to try and really cut down. Occasionally on a bad day I have been known to eat a packet of biscuits and a packet of sweets. I've got some lollipops which I think I will have occasionally as a treat but other than that trying to be good just for my health.

I feel exhausted today though, not hungry though, if anything I feel a bit sick!

@Rubic roughly what do you eat on a normal day just to give me an idea of what I should be aiming for

@Rubic roughly what do you eat on a normal day just to give me an idea of what I should be aiming for

Porridge made with unsweetened almond milk for breakfast
Dark green leafy salad with salmon or chicken for lunch
Meat (beef, chicken or turkey) or fish with broccoli, roast or steamed veggies and a handful of potatoes or maybe wholewheat pasta or rice noodles.
Snacks throughout the day include pistachio nuts, a piece of fruit or two, 0% greek yogurt with linseed and maybe a dash of honey if I've kept the sugar low throughout the rest of the day.

ETA when it comes to drinks I mainly have water. I have the occasional small glass or bottle of fruit juice or a smoothie but I try not to have it daily as they are full of sugar and not all that filling.

I use my fitness pal to track my intake as a rough guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrA
Ive been using an app to track my eating so I just checked, most days range from 10-50g sugar, I had an awful eating day on Saturday (needed to go shopping so ate badly all day and then brought chocolate when I went) and I had 100g sugar that day.

My main concern is my teeth TBH, so I don't think it matters if the sugar is from fruit or processed, I'm guessing it is all still bad?!

@Jessey how on earth did you only eat 10g of sugar in a day, that's amazing haha

I'm sure I've easily topped 150g-200 in a day before. I don't often drink any fizzy drinks but I eat alot of sweets, so they have to go!

I don;t have a sweet tooth any more, I'd rather have something salty, I don;t eat much in the way of cereal or processed gear.

@Jessey how on earth did you only eat 10g of sugar in a day, that's amazing haha
Yesterday I had 15g, I drank coffee and fizzy water, I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, the cheese and crackers at lunch and for dinner last night made cheese pizza from scratch with a cauliflower base (no dough), it was probably the crackers and tomato puree that had the bulk of the sugar in.

Since I've been cooking more from scratch I'm really noticing just how sweet ready meals and the like are.

Reactions: MrA
Thank-you, yesterday was the first day in a long long time I was under the 90g. I had about 75g in total.

Breakfast today was 2 crumpets and 2 pieces of toast with marmite, with smoothie which I need to use up
32g
For a snack at work I am taking a banana.

Then I have the dentist and as I'm getting work done may not be eating anymore today but if I can will have some noodles and veg later. So day 2 will be under target as well :D

Reactions: Jessey
ive never looked at my sugar intake....but we have been on healthy eating since New Years Eve. Which means we have mostly cut out our snacking, reducing our meal portions to a more appropriate size and splitting our proteins and carbs into different meal times (ie if eating carbs then we have a veggie meal, if eating meat then we just eat it with veg or salad). As a result we have reduced our carb intake to a more balanced (reduced) amount as we are eating less pasta meals and eating less bread.

I also use the myfitnesspal app and I didn't know you could look at the approx. sugar values - I have just looked at yesterdays sugar intake and it was 28g. I have looked at the other days that I have logged my food and they are generally between 30-60g per day.

I will revert to fruit eating after a month. What I didn't want to do was start eating lots of fruit to satisfy my sugar cravings.
That makes sense. ^^ Have to say though I am incredibly impressed that you have totally ditched the sugar, not sure I could do it. Well done.

OK now you've all got me wondering what my sugar intake is..... may have to go and look up 'my fitness pal' and try and work it out.
So far today I have eaten 2 cashew nuts, 2 brazil nuts, 2 halves of walnut and about three dates. One glass of hot water and two coffee's none of which I take sugar with.

newrider.com