How to dry a wet pony

CheriFen

Aug 31, 2011
Maine USA
Hi everyone

I wasn't sure where to post this question, but I'm wondering besides having a rain blanket on your horse when is snowing or raining or keeping your horse in his stable in wet weather is there a way to dry a horse in cold wet weather? and for riding? I saw someone online blowdrying their horse, but my pony would have a fit over a blow drying I'm thinking. My pony is just soaked through and its a chilly day. he seems perfectly fine, and he's already gotten a nice thick coat going but just wondering if any one has any suggestions...or I may have to find a rain coat for him...but I'm having a hard time finding one in a pony size.

I think that most horses are fine out in the rain - they're designed for it! Mine were rugged for less than 2 weeks last winter. If I have needed to dry her off quickly I've popped a rug on and then 'thatched' her I.e. stuffed straw/hay under the rug in a layer. It absorbs the worst of the moisture and is still edible afterwards!

I don't rug.

I squeegee off and then towel dry the area where the saddle goes and use a numnah but my attitude is that rain gets the hair ends wet but not the shaft of the hair next to the skin.

If my horse sweats when working the hair is wet from root to tip. That's wetter than rain but I don't hop off the moment she sweats.

I don't see the big deal in riding a wet pony.

It's only the top coat that'll be wet, the thick dusty, greasy undercoat will be dry next to the skin

so glad to hear it. I thought maybe I was abusive for letting my guy get wet and then even considering wanting to hop on. =)

in the summer he loves standing in the rain...and it cleans him off too.

thanks for the replies:biggrin:

I never rug Ziggy. He stands in the rain with his bogpony coat like thatch, and although his back looks wet, underneath the armadillo points he is dry and fluffy.

Like Joyscarer I squeeze the water off his saddle patch and give it a rub when he is soaking, and make sure I use an absorbent (and clean) numnah. The bigger problem is the mud because he thinks being wet is the perfect time to roll!

newrider.com