how to make her hair grow back

kelbe

Aug 1, 2008
Surrey
My pony had a few patches shaved off in november to have some little lumps removed but the hair has still not grown back and we have some shows to go to in march! Does anyone know how long it will take and any tips on speeding it up? I am currently trying Preperhation H cream which I think I may have noticed a small difference but could just be wishful thinking!

I could have sworn that Preparation H was for haemorrhoids not hair growth...

(going for a rootle 'round on the net!)

Last edited:
Wow - folk really have used it for hair re-growth!!! - I'm a bit confused as to why it should work as its primary action is to constrict the blood vessels to reduce the size of the hemorrhoid and if you want hair growth you'd want an unrestricted supply.

Oh well, if it works it works! Stranger things have happened!

Learn something new every day :)

you may find it grows back when the summer coat comes through in the spring. A rugged horse's coat grows very little through the winter unless they start to feel the cold, for example my mare only needs clipping once provided she has plenty of rugs on.

Otherwise I would use cornucrescine as others have suggested

seriously Megatek re-builder is awesome, Inca scratched out every inch of her mane and top of her tail year before last and used it to help re-growth, it grew back beautifully. Also, take a look at the pics I've posted in her blog, you'll see that the bottom of the mane looks a little "punkish", this was completely bald a few weeks ago until I started using the re-builder again. Look on the site as well as it has loads of really good reviews.

You can help speed up the new coat but upping the rugs and when the horse is in the stable put in daylight tubes/bulbs and leave on for a time (friend has hers on a timer to come on in the morning and them turn off in the evening.

This is a bit extreme but seems to work *shrug*

You can also just clip right out, if you do it now then you won't catch the summer coat the will be coming through in the next month or so (although mine are starting to shed already :eek:).

I have heard good things about the megatek, but haven't used it myself - am thinking of doing so though as R's mane is a bit sparse at the bottom :eek:

Have just gone to the megatek website and on the page for the rebuilder it has a user review with picture that say the hair grew back in three days - but I think this might be a slight extension of the truth so be patient if you do get it!!

If you use it regularly, you can see the difference in a few days - does sounds exaggerated but it is really very good. Just depends on how you use it, if you only use it once a week then it takes a while but if you use a little bit twice a day then it's v.quick. Puzzle has a sparse mane toward her withers but this stuff is making it thicken out nicely now. I quite literally have a grooming box full of their products!

There are quite a few well known show horse owners that have left reviews on there as well.

Thats disappointing about the Cornucresine - I have some for Joe's hoof (farrier told me to get some can't remember what he had wrong at the time!) Its a nice smell too....

If you use it regularly, you can see the difference in a few days - does sounds exaggerated but it is really very good. Just depends on how you use it, if you only use it once a week then it takes a while but if you use a little bit twice a day then it's v.quick. Puzzle has a sparse mane toward her withers but this stuff is making it thicken out nicely now. I quite literally have a grooming box full of their products!

There are quite a few well known show horse owners that have left reviews on there as well.

Oh I don't doubt it's effectiveness, just that the pictures they used show a bald patch (looked like mange/mite damage or something) to completely grown back in three days :eek::confused:

If they had said a week or two I'd have been a bit less sceptical :eek:

None the less I've ordered the cream version (the 18oz bottle is sold out until 18th!) :cool:

newrider.com