How to re-apply Pig Oil on Feathers

Dylan1

Oct 15, 2009
South Devon
Hi all,
I'm new on here and wondered if I could ask advice on Pig Oil. I have read that a few of you already use pig oil on Hairy horses :) and most think it's good. I am using it for the first time on my traditional cob Dylan, hoping it will help with mud during the winter and keep his feathers looking good.
I know that the first application has to be on clean dry legs (so he's having a bath tomorrow) but how do I apply the next application in a few weeks time. Will I have to shampoo his feathers again or after the first lot can you just re-apply because they are already clean and protected? I really hope it's as good as it says, as he is soooo hard to keep clean during the winter and anything that helps will be a bonus :)
Cheers
Jean and Dylan

Great question............don't have the answer, sorry, but have always
wondered myself, especially having a Welshie X Traditional, although I have
to say, she doesn't have much feather:D

Welcome to NR

I fill an empty fly spray bottle with a trigger, like barrier health or naf off. The oil is fine enough to mist through. It's great for manes and tails and I also wipe it on the coat sparingly with a sponge. Someone on another thread said it can make the horse slippery so be careful.

I dont shampoo my horses legs again when re-applying it, just sponge another coat on. I use sulphur mixed in with it most of the time when I apply it to his legs, so unfortunately the spray doesnt work with the sulphur in it, otherwise it would make applying it sooooo much easier. For me though I just empty a bit in a wide shallow bucket, place a sponge in there and rub that in on my horses feathers then work it in with my fingers.

Reapply exactly like that every 4 weeks :) FAB for keeping their feathers clean and the mud off them ! I also apply it to his tail and mane as well :)

Thank you all for the advice. I have washed Dylan's mane and tail and feathers today and then had to blow dry his feathers as they just wasn't drying! lol Applied the pig oil, I used the spray idea for mane and tail and used an empty washing up bottle for his feathers. He really enjoyed the pampering massage lol and has gone out tonight like he's been through an oil slick!
I haven't used the sulpher this time as his legs are clean of sores or mites, so just wanted the protection from the mud.
Can't wait to see if it works on him.
Thanks again.

we just keep adding it without washing and we only wash for shows, so the skin dosen't get too damaged with cleaning products. however don't be shy we use LOADS!!!!

ditto always apply it without washing (i wash as little as i have too so only wash for shows)- just brush off any dirt first.

I use a small bucket and small sponge to apply and just sponge it on the legs and rub in with sponge or hands

Well I just apply mine (must get some more!) after a farriers visit. This is enough to keep MF at bay and the feather in good clean condition.

There legs have to be clean for the farrier and this is the only time I wash the legs down if they have wet mud on them and other wise just brush off any mud when it dry and just embrace the 'rustic' loo the rest of the time! I know popping it on then means it will be done regularly without me forgetting and that the legs are always clean enough to do it when planned.

I am going to be using a trick that someone mentioned on this forum previously which is to bung the pig oil and sulphur in an old washing up liquid bottle - before I always used the spenge method. I should be able to use less as I'll be able to target the skin and the whole job should be less messy and quicker :)

I am going to be using a trick that someone mentioned on this forum previously which is to bung the pig oil and sulphur in an old washing up liquid bottle - before I always used the spenge method. I should be able to use less as I'll be able to target the skin and the whole job should be less messy and quicker :)

I just mix a bit up and apply it with a paint brush about 1 inch brush head. Works a treat. Great for targeting specific areas.

I had never even heard of the stuff before I came on here but it
seems to have many 'fans':)

What is it actually used for, is it mud fever in particular.

Also, does it come as two seperate items then, i.e. Pig Oil and then you
buy the Sulphur or does it come in one package?

Is the oil to repel and the sulphur to heal?

I think you've actually about covered it fairlady. :)

The oil is just a cheap carrier oil, I think I pay about £14. I buy mine from countryside shops in a 5ltr can. Nothing magical about the oil but it is a repellant and a means of applying the sulphur.

The sulphur is Flowers of Sulphur and the form we need for this job looks like yellow talcum powder. It has antiseptic and anti fungal properties. It is much used in gardening and other aplications it can be in pelleted or flaked form which isn't for mixing with pig oil!

http://www.morganhorse.co.uk/care/flowers-of-sulphur

You can buy it ready mixed on eBay or mix it yourself.

As with trying anything new the advice is to do a patch test first. :)

Some good ideas on here on how to apply it, think I might give the washing up bottle trick a go.

Ditto Joyscarer.

I used on my youngster for a winter and it was great. Used it the next year and all the hair fell out on the areas treated:eek::eek:

Same mixture, same supplier.

I would definately patch test and WAIT for for 2 weeks as that seems to be the amount of time the results take.

It was fab the first year on my girl, don't know what happened the next. It can be excellent stuff IF it suits your horse.
:)

I did Izzy for the first time the other week and I used an old washing up liquid bottle and rubbed it in by hand. I started off wearing gloves but it was easier without. Izzy loved it - held his back feet up as I massaged it in.

I am going to do it about every 3 weeks and see how he goes. BUt I'm not going to wash his feathers - just brush any dirt off first.

you migth find 3 weeks is a little too often and might get a reaction from over use of the sulphur.

I apply every 6/7 weeks as joy said normally inline with when my farrier has been:)

We just use oil in between to keep the wet off the skin and then sulphur about every five weeks. The oil seems to stop the mud clogging the feathers.It really depends on what the weather is doing!

And as a fab indicator of how the oil works, my horse is the only one with clean legs at the moment even though the entrance to the gate is muddy all the others have muddy legs, his are lovely and sparkly :D

And as a fab indicator of how the oil works, my horse is the only one with clean legs at the moment even though the entrance to the gate is muddy all the others have muddy legs, his are lovely and sparkly :D

I feel a visit coming on in November then so you can show them off :p

newrider.com