how to safely turn a horse free-schooling?

sophie33

Aug 8, 2004
London
I'm not sure I'm going to manage to explain this clearly but here goes. This morning my RI got me to take the horse I've started to share into the round pen. She is lovely, but very green and quite nervous. As I've never lunged my RI thought it would be easier for me to learn to school her in the round pen using a lunge whip. It all went fine, I really enjoyed it, and Flicka walked, trotted, cantered and halted with my voice commands (not always immediately its true). The only thing my ri said I did wrong was the way I got her to turn. I followed my RI's instructions, getting Flicka to halt on the outside of the round pen then I walked up to her and stood by her head and asked her to turn. But afterwards my RI said I was standing too close to her bum and would have been in the danger zone had she kicked out. I think I must have stayed still as she turned so that by time she moved I was standing near her bum, although I'm not really sure what I did...
I'll ask RI again tomorrow but does anyone have tips on how I should have done it?

When the cob is loose to turn her I look at her bottom which turns her round to go the other way. I usually haven't had to move. So I wouldn't be in any zones. That said I have been in the zones and I have been double barrelled so do pay attention to where you are because they will certainly be aware of it.

Thanks newforest. I definitely don't want to be double barrelled! Not ever, but especially not at this early stage. I will try harder to stay out the way tomorrow. Might get my RI to do it so I can copy. I realise I ought to be able to turn her without getting close but I don't think she understands those instructions yet! I guess that is the other issue - how to do it in a way that is also teaching a subtler signal as preparation for the future... It was only her second time in round pen today - although she knows how to lunge (but I don't!)

I think the initial stages of teaching a horse to stop and turn would be on the end of a long rope. Once the horse has that cue I think free schooling will be easier.

On a long rope, doing it the Clinton way, you slide the rope down your hand, take a big step in toward the back end and stab the carrot stick onto the floor. Intially if I remember correctly though you would use the carrot stick on the back end to teach them to yield it but this would be from a standstill, rather than 'lungeing'.

So you seem to be lots of steps in front, but I guess if the horse knows the cues already, it won't be a problem.

I put my stick into the hand they are travelling towards (ie in front of them instead of behind), stick that arm in front and turn my body towards them so I human facing where I want them to go. I then take a step with the leg on same side as my stick to encourage turning.

Usually all proceeded by cues to steady

If you get your RI to do it with you so you are shadowing her, that should give you a good idea of exactly where you want to be. It will also ensure that you ask for certain movements in the same way as she will be asked by others.

Thank you all. Today I discovered that my RI generally does the same as PFB BUT Flicka hasn't grasped this signal. Hence asking her to stand and then going to her and using her head collar to get her to turn around before stepping backwards away from her before asking her to move off. I watched my RI do it and she stepped pretty quickly and was never near Flicka's back end. So now I know... next Wednesday I'm going to try it solo.
And Flicka was a very good girl again. Coming out the round pen she was very unkeen to walk across the mud but did so with a little encouragement - only for me to lose my welly and sock and end up putting my bare foot into the mud! And she stood like a good girl while I hopped around like a fool.
And yesterday she was cantered while ridden in the school plus went on a little walk hack around the local fields. And despite the high winds she was very good (none of this was with me riding her - she is being schooled by much better, braver riders than I).

newrider.com