How will my cat react?

Melrose

Jan 23, 2012
So, a while ago I mentioned about my cat having an awful skin condition which caused her to be scabby, bite herself and cause herself to bleed and have infections.

I had been to so many vets who had told me they "don't know what it is - maybe her feed, maybe fleas, maybe her environment.." blah blah blah. All total rubbish - My sister had her before me and she'd eaten a variety of food which never bothered her, she's never had fleas and it all started after she had a litter.

So I went to see another vet (a lady whose horse I used to loan) and she said the very first time I met her that it could be stress and is there another cat in the neighborhood. So I said funnily enough yes, and he does wind her up and come near our front door and Belle gets VERY upset by this.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the owner of this cat has since moved and Belle's skin and condition could not be in better condition, so I believe it was the stress of another cat, however, I am looking into getting a dog. I am wandering, will she react the same as she did to this other cat being near her house, or will she know that this dog lives in the same house as her and will be okay with it? I really do not want her skin condition to come back as it used to be as it's just not fair on her.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know..

I should think she would get used to a dog in your house - I know of many cats and dogs that get along just fine. Though I can see why you'd be worried given she must be a highly strung cat. Can you ask your vet's opinion too?

So much will also depend on the dog you get - a quite, cat friendly older dog will be a different ballgame to a large boisterous puppy who will want to play chase with her. You can get stress busting plug ins and stuff that might be a good idea when you first bring the dog in etc. Maybe have friends bring their dogs round and see how she reacts (although a full time dog will be different) Our cat sits on the stairs and gloats as the dogs arent allowed up there and has lots of hiding places to get away from them. She also likes to pretend shes hard done by when really shes in charge! I do think, in the circumstances, you may be pushing your luck.

My mum brought her dog over a few times so Belle has met dogs and she sat on top of the sofa looking at the dog, and then when she realised he was just lying down not doing much, she did go to sleep albeit with one eye open no doubt! but she is a fairly brave cat.

I'm sure a lot of people would just get a dog without a second thought of their cat bu Belle has been through so much with her skin and it's cost me an arm and a leg in money and in time to get her where she is now and I love the bones of her too, so don't want her to be unhappy.

I will ask my vet on her thoughts, that's a good idea and also get a friend to bring her dog over.

Belle has the most spoilt lifestyle right now so i'm wandering how she'd react to another pet. I completely get the whole young boisterous puppy would be a different ball game to a calm, older dog too.

Tbh I'd only take on a dog if I made it clear to the rescue place the situation with the cat so they know there's the chance that the dog will be going back.

Whenever I've taken on a new animal, I've done so with my commitment remaining fully with my existing animals and any problems then its last one in, first one out.

Sounds harsh but that's my philosophy.

Agree with everything that has been said so far.

We have 4 cats, 2 are very timid rescues that are fine with OH and me but are petrified of strangers, the other 2 we rescued as kittens and are very bold. Last year we got a dog from the Dogs Trust, a 5yr old not very bouncy collie cross, the Dogs Trust do a "cat test" which from what I can tell is basically shoving one of their kennel cats under the dogs nose to see what it does.

Our boy was distinctly not interested so he was a tentative pass, in that he was ok, but not 100% relaxed.

We introduced them all to each other over a very long period of time. The dog had his little "pen" which was a straightened out baby pen (think giant baby gate) so the cats could still pass him and look from a distance when we weren't there.

He has always been happy to ignore them and all four are relaxed in his company now. The two bolder cats frequently play chase with him (they chase him!) and will sniff his nose etc.

So it really does depend on matching their characters and making sure that you introduce them very slowly.

The Dogs Trust also gave us a blanket that had been rubbed on the dog we due to take home the following week, so the cats had plenty of time to adjust to the smell.

It could go either way. As your cat is so sensitive, I would be inclined to leave it tbh. It could well work out but if it doesn't, its not really fair on the dog if he has to go.

It is quite a difficult situation.

She is a very brave cat.

She has been around dogs and been fine.

I'm just wandering does a cat react the same to another cat as they would to a dog?

I know Belle inside out, her behaviour, her health and I think she would be okay with a dog..

newrider.com