I’m going to cry agajn

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I’m 99% sure his ulcers are back again. I just don’t understand why. Spoke to vets yesterday night (of course it was almost closing time). My vet wasn’t there as I expected and he is on call next week so not sure when he will be in to get messages. We decided I would monitor over the weekend and ring again Monday am and if need be speak to a different vet. Tonight he is def not right, and noticed by another livery. So I will ring tomorrow morning and see if I can get meds then or need a vet visit or whatever. It’s Sunday obviously but they are open so I’m not sure what the story will be. I have no idea what has been the trigger this time. Vet did say at the start of second lot he has 2 horses they just can’t find out what the issue is and they come back regardless. I guess now is as good a time as any as his insurance runs out in 2 weeks. Annoyingly their scope is broken so out of use for 3 to 4 weeks. I’m not prepared to wait that long.

Jim I had to keep on a quarter dose of Peptizole/GastroGard or his would recur. As a short term thing if you can't get meds tomorrow then try buying Gaviscon Double Action Liquid and giving him a 60ml syringe of it 2 or 3 times a day - it's not a cure but it can help get them more comfortable, it was suggested to me by my vet when we were going through a very bad spell such that omeprazole alone wasn't enough and we couldn't get Antepsin.

Reactions: MrA
I wonder if we will need to do that. Or even just at the trigger times. All we can think is it is a season thing.

Thankyou for that suggestion. I will definitely do that and had never heard of it. Syringe straight in or in feed?

Reactions: carthorse
I would syringe it straight into Jim's mouth, and after a couple of times he'd be trying to "help" which was a sure sign he associated it with some fairly quick relief. It comes in aniseed and mint flavours, he didn't like aniseed!

Thanks. Ill do that. He likes the taste of the peptizole which is aniseed like so I’ll see what they have. Thanks again.

Many times horses with frequent recurring ulcer issues don’t have issues in the foregut, the issues are in the hind gut.

I keep my horse prone to fore and hind gut issues on Succeed. He is on it long term but that doesn’t mean your horse would have to be. It mixes into the other feed pan stuffs.

It isn’t any more expensive than Gastrogard or Peptizole.

@Lollykay I tried that a few times but with little noticeable result for Jim. I have known people who've had very good results with it though so it may well be worth a try. As you say it depends on where the ulcers are, and if a horse is scoping clear but showing symptoms it's probably a better product.

Reactions: Lollykay
Many times horses with frequent recurring ulcer issues don’t have issues in the foregut, the issues are in the hind gut.

I keep my horse prone to fore and hind gut issues on Succeed. He is on it long term but that doesn’t mean your horse would have to be. It mixes into the other feed pan stuffs.

It isn’t any more expensive than Gastrogard or Peptizole.

Thanks. Def something to keep in mind. Vet was sure it wasn’t hind gut. However we treated with sucralfate when in fact it was his lungs still making him poorly. It didn’t help. Next time the peptizole worked in the right sort of tone frame. But I think he needs something long term more than just the gut balancer so I’ll have a look. Thanks

Nice vet has left 2 boxes without seeing him. I can then speak to vet who knows him this week about the rest of the course when he has time. Hopefully he will start to feel better soon.

Last edited:
@Doodle92 I will share my other “Succeed” story, given what you have said:)

In very early 2012 my beloved Duke (RIP) started colicked episodes. He was 25 and had been with me since a coming three year old, so his history was all mine:).

Duke had never colicked over anything a day in his life, so one colic was worry enough. He kept colicking. The the vet put him on EquiShure.

While it has helped many other horses, it didn’t do one thing for Duke who ended up colicking NINE TIMES in two or so months.

The other vet at that clinic had me put Duke on Succeed and the colics stopped immediately. Duke’s diagnosis was strangulating lipomas and the clinic gave him six months. Surgery was out, given his age and the four hour drive to the equine hospital.

I kept Duke on Succeed and it bought him 2-1/2 years of quality life until that horrible Sunday morning when the lipomas won and he had one major colic, flipping his intestines. The vet was here within two hours. I had no choice but to send Duke on to his ancestors when he was 27——

This is why I am keeping Joker permanently on Succeed. He has been to hell and back twice with major founder and a twice fractured sacrum. At certain times, he has been given pain killers I had never heard of - Methocarbomol.

That said, there is one more natural fore and hind gut product that is amazing but it is more expensive than Succeed. I know it works because I have had Joker on it but using it forever is out of my pocketbook’s reach.

It is called Egusin and is a two-phase product in the early stages of treatment. I did go to just one stage for awhile but it still costs more money for nine days less treatment than the Succeed.

I sure hope what you are doing currently works but if it doesn’t there are three options to try:)

Also, please keep in mind if your horse does have a hind gut issue, lipomas may be involved. They affect all genders but for some reason geldings & stallions the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: carthorse
We are sure he dosnt have hind gut issues. Also I may be doing something wrong but I can’t get the page of where to get succeed in Europe. The peptizole does help him. It will just be why they come back.

This link opened for me, is it the one you tried?

If ulcers are bad enough initially, sometimes they never completely heal. My Arab was a low 3 on the Henneke body score scale, when I rescued him with ulcers. He was seven and he fought them untIl his end time at 29, regardless of what went into his feed pan.

Last edited:
He had grade 2 to start with. He scoped clear after 6 weeks. (We would have scoped after 4 weeks but the weather meant i couldn’t get him to the vets). We didn’t rescope the second time as the symptoms were the same so seemed pointless to scope again. He was much improved after 7 days treatment. Had a further 2 weeks full dose then 28 days 1/4 dose. I did wonder about scoping this time but we are on a time limit plus the vets scope is broken so we couldn’t scope for 3 or 4 weeks and he can’t wait that long.

Obviously I will speak to vet when he is free but last time he said unfortunately some horses you just never get to the reason of why no matter what you do. Even if that is the case though we need to try and stop them.

Thanks that link works. Don’t know what I was doing! Of course no suppliers in Scotland and only seems to be available from vets. I will ask mine when I speak to him.

No, you're being stressed and trying to sort out everything all at once. Breathe! I hope he's more comfortable soon and you can relax x

newrider.com