I am really really tempted.......

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
My two are both 4.5 now and still long way to go, however I am so missing the baby stage and teaching of manners and am just SO tempted by this....................................madness I KNOW:smoke:

Attachments

• Colt.jpg
    Colt.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 55
oooooooooohhhhhhhh i dont blame you, i loved having a proper baby to look after - on the other hand though, i couldnt deal with xander (4.5yrs too) AND a baby! eeekk!!!

they're both gorg' though.

Thing is in the back of my mind is the fact that Sioned is just TOO SMALL for me at 14.1......................I don't know what to do tbh.........

I can empathise, I love them as total babies! Although Bella is 18 months old it's great having a baby to teach about life/manners again......sorry I'm not much good at discouraging!

Personally if I ever was to do it again, it'll have to be around the age Shadow was (17mths) when I got him already handled, I don't think I'd have a foal again, much as I enjoyed raising Bailey, it's a one off experience for me :smoke:
But I think you should go for it FL:biggrin:

Ooooo lovely! You really do have a soft spot for skewbalds don't you! Where r they? The foal looks familiar, perhaps I have seen it advertised.

Go for it, Kay! Baby horses are SO rewarding - as you know and both of those are VERY pretty... I can definitely confirm that "THREEEEE... is a magic numberrrrr....." :tongue:

They are both advertised on our local Horsey Forum

I put 'like' and asked a few questions about the Baby of the Babies, lol and Cookster wrote underneath

'KAY.................. step AWAY from the Babies' :bounce::bounce:

I honestly don't know WHAT the hell to do............

I love Sioned dearly, do I push on with her, regardless that at the back of my mind all the time is her size..........14.1....ish ......I KNOW she will carry me, but am I always gonna have in the back of my mind I wish she was 'BIGGER' or do I think about rehoming her...........that in all honesty fills me with dread.........
IF I had my own land would seriously consider having another, but I haven't and have to think of the cost, if another comes I would have taken the decision to part with Sioned and don't honestly know if I could do that.............

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I AM 'TRYING' ALL THE TIME TO CONVINCE MYSELF THAT SIZE DOESN'T MATTER.....................:biggrin:

or do I just accept that my 'real' interest seems to lay in the babies until 4, I just LOVE them at these
ages, everything 'new'................but then feel I am bordering on becoming a bit of a DEALER tbh, by selling them on just backed !! Have I missed the riding.........yes, on nice Sunny Days............but I can always find a Horse to Ride TBH.........Have I enjoyed the 'challenges' thrown up with the Youngsters........EVERY DAMN MINUTE OF IT.........x

OH F*S............!!! Perhaps its just my age............INDECISIVE !!!

Last edited:
Does a few inches really make that much difference really. I have EVA at 13.2 and stormy is going to make 15-15.2 hh. Is it not more about your relationship you have with your horse.
I would stick with sioned she will mature yet . Lunnie is still maturing and not got any taller but really filled out width wise making him stocky and he is comming up to 7 years old now xx

Last edited:
If it helps, I totally understand how you feel! ....hence the buying of the raggedy little youngster. There is something about having a challenge and a project that is amazingly satisfying!

I have often thought of getting youngsters to bring on, back and then find them a good home. I know after that you can't control their future, but having come across so many ponies who were just started all wrong I like the idea of giving them good foundation experience.

You'd think after all the strops and tantrums that we'd never want to do it again, but noooooo!!!

I agree with B&P ..... Have so say there is something so satisfying about getting a baby and teaching them as they grow, backing and starting them, knowing it was done gently and with kindness. Heck i`m no use at all as if it were me i`d already be hitching up the horsebox :giggle:

I also agree with NL, it`s about the bond you have with them too, and size isn`t always an issue ... i`m going to be riding Dixie and she`s 12.3hh (says 13hh on her passport ... maybe she was on her tippy toes that day). You have done great things with Sioned, but if you took the decision to find her a new home, we all know she`d go the best home you could find for her, and that it wouldn`t be taken lightly.

Daft question, is it just the winter blues mixed with bringing on a green horse (Sioned), that makes you hark back to the triumphs of babies conquering new things ? (i know you genuinely love youngsters, just wondering why you feel the way you do at the mo other than the height thing ?)

Coby can be challenging for me ..... Believe it or not, and he`s rising 5 and just starting with the "Kevins" ...... He had me in floods of tears the other day, as he was feeling that way out, and i just questioned and doubted everything i know, and honestly thought "I can`t do this anymore, he needs some one better than me to take him further".

Groundwork has been a breeze, ridden wise he started out brilliantly, but is just starting to test me, and all of a sudden i`m thinking "eeekkk". Those who know me and have seen me work with my horses are 100% confident in my abilities .. i just wish i was :help: .........

I hope you know what i`m trying to say ... i`m a bit crap with words sometimes lol .... Could you take on a youngster to bring on, and then back and start and sell on ? ? That may work and help quench the need for babies addiciton :wink:

I know, its crazy isn't it:biggrin:

TBH this foal is a bargain price at £300..........his markings are excellent
and if push came to shove I probably could squeeze in 3................

We will see.........whats meant to be will be:biggrin:

That is a bargain for a well marked youngster!

I have the same feelings as bnp, i like the challenge of bringing on youngsters etc but i also feel i haven't bonded either as i am always looking for another...drives my OH nuts! The only horse i truly bonded with i no longer have :frown: and i miss him everyday and although i love Sully to bits i don't feel we have bonded nor does he trust me (if that makes sense).

At the moment, i like to be able to make a difference to those horses who haven't had the best start in life. I would never sell Sully though, not saying i haven't thought about it in the past but now know i couldn't part with him as i couldn't secure his future.

I know exactly what you are saying daisy and 'yep' could be a bit of winter blues and FRUSTRATION..........lol, but for the last year Sioneds size has been the thing for me............She has well thrown up a few challenges tbh, but nothing that would sway any decision to sell her on, but to be honest to myself having had Morse before and selling on, albeit because of my neck injury and seeing how well he progressed, its not about the 'riding' for me, don't get me wrong I have loved backing Sioned, but its all the things to do with bringing up a baby, teaching it manners, getting it out and about to see new things, building the bond etc.

I also bought Sioned expecting her to go to a minium 15hh as all other youngstock has.

Have no doubt IF I took the decision to part with Sioned I would hold out for the best of homes that I felt would be suitable, however, I also realise you have no real call on what happens to them after that.

I have been VERY lucky in that the 3 Horses I have sold on in my lifetime they all ended up in excellent homes and have remained there, so far anyway, but I realise that I have been VERY lucky as have the Horses I have sold that they have ended up in such fabulous homes.

As I said, I have made no decisions, and its a HUGE decision to make and nothing I would rush into. TBH IF I decide its the way to go don't think for one minute I would do anything until the Spring, lush as this Foal is, lol, I am certainly not gonna rush to get rid of my Girlie for something that appeals and tempts me, but I havent even seen in the flesh.

Last edited:
Soooo glad you know what i meant lololol !!!!

Some babies just really take your eye don`t they, i know sometimes i go looking and just fall head over heels, but like you say, with out meeting them in the flesh and taking it from there, a pic doesn`t ever give the full story.

Are you quite tall then ? ? I`m only short and 5`4" so i manage to get away with the smaller ponys. Though when i bought Coby he was suppose to mature at 14.1/14.2hh (ish) and he`s now 15hh and still growing :rolleyes: I wanted the opposite to you, i wanted a midget hoss, as i struggle to get on bigger ones lol

newrider.com