I feel awful

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Looks like my girly has a girth gall, not a rub or sore but those galls (lump under the skin) you used to see more 25 years ago.
I was struggling with my new saddle as my girth was barely long enough, so I hunted through the tack room and pulled out an old one, instead of padded neoprene with elastic at both ends that I normally use it is a webbing one with the humane end/balancing buckles.
Its a lump about the size of a 2p but thicker, behind her elbow, not sore at all, I can poke, prod and tug it to no reaction. I've pretty much left it alone since monday but its still there and I really need to get back to riding as we start a 130 mile charity ride in less that 8 weeks!
Its been so long since I have seen one I can't remember how to deal with them, so suggestions please?

I personally would leave of anything touching it, until fully gone. Putting anything on it will possibly aggravate it, and then become sore. Could you not do in hand hacking/work until then to keep fitness levels up?

I would also use proper sheepskin to protect once a girth put on. We used them on all our driving horses which were being exercised 15-20 miles a day for the nationals.

I lunged last night and it's pouring down tonight so a good excuse not to ride, I will try bareback, I used to hack a lot like that but not much good for the trot work, I've got strong thighs but not strong enough for lots of bareback trotting lol
The most annoying bit is I planned to put my sheepskin sleeve on but managed to totally forget, hopefully another few days and it will be gone, now have a new girth (same as the one I usually use just longer) and will def not forget my sheepskin again.
Oddly the gall now appears to have a head... Perhaps it was a bite or sting after all, I didn't notice it until Monday pm but assumed it was from our ride Sunday.
Thanks for the input, I was thinking best to leave it alone.

newrider.com