I love when I confuse myself and the horse

Skyhuntress

Trying to escape reality
Apr 26, 2005
Alberta, Canada
hidden-identity.net
So I had a lesson today, which, let me tell you was EXHAUSTING for both poor Limerick and me. Trainer rode Limerick first, was very good. Worked on counter canter quite a bit and some extended trot - he was really good. Then I popped on with her saying "we'll warm you up a bit then lose the stirrups". That "warmup" took forever.

So we did trot to canter transitions which were BEAUTIFUL. Then we were trying to do our walk to canter transitions...which we've never had any problems with before. Could not be done. He'd pick up counter canter each and every time-yet if I'd trot then canter, he'd have no problem picking up the correct lead. So here's my trainer going "what the heck are you doing?!" and Im like "hell if I know!" My aids were no different - in fact I was overexaggerating my aids to try to get him to pick up the right lead from the walk. So we picked up the wrong lead yet again, I was getting quite irritated at this point with him and me so I really half halted him, he switched his leads, I let go, he switched his leads again and then switched them back again...so in a space of 5 strides we had 3 changes. My trainer looks at me and was like "uhhh...did you want to do tempi changes with him?" Umm...no, but hey, it was pretty damn neat, despite being a total and complete fluke and something that'll probably never happen again :p

So I brought Limerick back to a walk, and I swear to God he stopped and looked back at me with a "well who knew I could do THAT?!"

It did resolve itself. I did 4-5 canter transitions with him from trot to walk, he picked up the lead beautifully, and then after that walk to canter was back to being easy and 'normal' again. Not sure what the heck I was doing though that caused him to have so many problems picking his lead up!

Ah yes... Those stupid moments where even a seasoned trainer can't figure what the hell you're doing or why you're doing it. I love those moments.

Now *ahem* I do believe we were promised pictures. ;)

Ah yes... Those stupid moments where even a seasoned trainer can't figure what the hell you're doing or why you're doing it. I love those moments.

Now *ahem* I do believe we were promised pictures. ;)

Will get them! It's been threatning to rain the past couple of days (and we did get rained on yesterday) so I've been too chicken to ride him outside :p

Yes, but you could do all those tempi changes couldn't you though .... didn't she let you try them ? Are you going to try at it when she's not looking ?

Kate (<-- would not make a very good dressage student )

Yes, but you could do all those tempi changes couldn't you though .... didn't she let you try them ? Are you going to try at it when she's not looking ?

Kate (<-- would not make a very good dressage student )

Nah, she didn't let me try them again-he doesn't have near the muscle tone necessary or me the coordination to actually ASK for them (remember, we don't even know flying lead changes, which is a must! :p)

But it was still pretty neat-just goes to show you though that all these movements we ask for in dressage, the horse can perform naturally!

But it was still pretty neat-just goes to show you though that all these movements we ask for in dressage, the horse can perform naturally!

Oh, most certainly. We took Coquette's trail riding buddy away from her and she went into the most dramatic performance you ever did see. Extended canter, flying lead changes, canter pirouettes!

newrider.com