I need all the vibes you can spare tonight

"Oh muuuuum we want McDonalds."
That’s just it, what I got them is McDonald’s compared to their normal stalky low nutritional value hay which is more like rivita!

They’re going to have to suck it up and eat it, I’m working this weekend and can’t ask to leave early again for hay!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I may actually throttle the lot of them! the hay is beautiful, soft, green, sweet smelling hay that I thought they would inhale and get fat on and all 4 are barely touching it 🤬 just pushing it around and ate less than half what they normally would over night.
This is hilarious 😂😂😂

Reactions: Jessey
Ours would wolf that down, ours is a bit variable but we had a batch of gorgeous herbal soft choppy hay which they hoovered up. It smelt amazing. I was sorry when we ran out of that as it was gorgeous

They always want what they cant have. In your case poision.

I had over a 1100 in the barn at the start of winter. Im lucky to have a choice of animals to feed it to. The sheep are the most fussy. Theres goes generally in racks so if i give them wrong stuff i end up pulling it all back out and giving it to the cows.They wont eat any course/stalky bales. So they go to the horses or cows. Even the cows arent fans of course stuff but they will it eat if its heavy frost or snow.
I always get some look lovely on the outside but when you open them up there fausty insde. Anything like that goes to the cows to pick over.
Im down to my last 150. I have sold a good amount. One lady has 5 horses a couple of which cant have grass. Shes had my hay tested and its come back suitable for her to feed. Unfortunately i had to tell them last month that they coulnt have anymore until i made more unless my animals stop eating it. Funnily enough a week later the cows reduced there intake right down. I think it was only because they were heavily pregnant and couldnt fit anymore in there tummies. There starting to get through it again but im finding it a job to judge what to put out.

If we get more snow or a prolonged wet spring i can see me running out.

The person who ive had to let down has been inundated with hay offers. Weve had a very mild winter overall and i think theres plenty around.

Reactions: Jessey
They always want what they cant have. In your case poision.

I had over a 1100 in the barn at the start of winter. Im lucky to have a choice of animals to feed it to. The sheep are the most fussy. Theres goes generally in racks so if i give them wrong stuff i end up pulling it all back out and giving it to the cows.They wont eat any course/stalky bales. So they go to the horses or cows. Even the cows arent fans of course stuff but they will it eat if its heavy frost or snow.
I always get some look lovely on the outside but when you open them up there fausty insde. Anything like that goes to the cows to pick over.
Im down to my last 150. I have sold a good amount. One lady has 5 horses a couple of which cant have grass. Shes had my hay tested and its come back suitable for her to feed. Unfortunately i had to tell them last month that they coulnt have anymore until i made more unless my animals stop eating it. Funnily enough a week later the cows reduced there intake right down. I think it was only because they were heavily pregnant and couldnt fit anymore in there tummies. There starting to get through it again but im finding it a job to judge what to put out.

If we get more snow or a prolonged wet spring i can see me running out.

The person who ive had to let down has been inundated with hay offers. Weve had a very mild winter overall and i think theres plenty around.
my supplier ran out a couple of months ago....

Yeah there’s definitely plenty about, I just have to be a bit picky with Jess’ breathing and her and Dan both being prone to getting fat!
They are eating it now, but not well, they’re eating maybe 1/2-2/3 of what they normally would 🤷🏻‍♀️

I give the goats second cut but sigh there's still waste with them
They really REALLY LIKE clover in it.
But they are all wethers...
Clover is higher in calcium and they can't have too much with urinary calculi being a worry.

Andi was getting mostly first but I.think I'm going to all second for her too

Most of the hay here is Canadian or New York hay

The first cut is Canadian. ...ITS TIMOTHY
The new hay can vary to LOVELY REALLY SOFT early with tight small tops.
Even the goats love that

But sometimes it's ugh very late first with the tops all exploded frazzled looking.

You can tell NY hay right off the bat...
It smells like cows.

They tend to use cow manure on the fields.

I.dont know of its done over there...bur some places use a citric acid spritz on the hay to be able to bale it quicker.

NO ONE LIKES THAT STUFF.
and it has the strong citric acid smell

It always seems to be heavy and very clumpy stuck together cause it was baled
much wetter.

I run from that stuff.

my supplier ran out a couple of months ago....
I haven't had a supply of hay now for two winters. The rogue I used to buy from doubled the price to £10 per tiny bale. And it was loose packed so not going far either. I buy Silvermoor Timothy now, fab stuff. Not the cheapest but Storm can manage it as it's more like hay than haylege.

Andi is like that as long as long as I dont go crazy with far too much at one time
Especially with first
Then she will waste some especially outside

We put the hay racks from the old house in
Both stalls a few weeks ago
And now i only feed her hay inside
And I've gone mostly to all second
There's no weather waste. .
And if there was something she wasn't keen on it can be bedding as compared to absolutely wasted

Im so lucky to have a horse that will eat anything and I mean anything, I have never met a bale of hay she hasn’t eaten, oddly though she does prefer soaked hay to un soaked.
Honestly, Jess and the boys almost never say no to anything, it’s very unusual for them.

Dan once drank half a bucket of diluted bleach just because it was there! 😱 (I was scrubbing Jess feet with it and he just walked up behind me and sucked it down)

@horseandgoatmom said what I am thinking. The hay may have been sprayed with something so it would dry quicker. My horses won’t touch hay that’s been sprayed with a drying agent..

It is frustrating for sure. I have never found a way to convince my horses to eat sprayed hay (if that is even your issue) — it usually ends up going down the road to my cow neighbor☹️☹️

Last edited:
They don’t really use drying agents here, I’ve never heard of anyone using it anyway, it would cut into their profits too much!

I suspect it may have been fertilised not long before it was cut, they never like it when that has happened, or given the price of fertiliser last year perhaps done with slurry.

newrider.com