I seem to be a horsebox owner!

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
Hired a stunning 3.5t box at the weekend and was almost convinced to beg borrow etc to buy one. A bit put off by the apparent indifference of the dealer, having travelled 2 hours in the heat of this week an offer of a glass of water might have helped, even more would have been some attempt to meet our request to contract hire for the six weeks he thought it would take him to find a box, no choice of colour, accessories etc. Totally :eek: at the price.

We drove off thinking that we would be using our trailer for the rest of the season. Not normally a big deal as we get on well with it but our latest project is looking to be a sucessful show horse but is a poor traveller and this weekend was the first time we got to a show with no cuts /scrapes etc, including 2 hours on the M25 at a virtual standstill.

Driving home up the A1 I remembered seeing a dealer on the internet which we could detour to and called him to see what he had in stock. Result is we are now the proud owners of a lovely Chaigley 4.7t two horse rear facing with neat little living, horse and reversing cameras etc etc .....for less than 1/3 of the price of the one we wanted :confused:

Currently at dealers having hob and sink fitted and a minor mod to the horse part to suit us. We have already been to IKEA to buy fabric etc to fit out living with pretty bits, he has taken it off his website but lots of piccies when we collect it

Bonus is it is the same colour(burgandy) as our Disco/ trailer and horses rugs /bandages etc!!.

old ad here: http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/2_horse_living_nottinghamshire/37580

Actually plated at 4.7...checked it out, dealer sold it to last owner who now wants a 3.5 for his daughter to drive. Honest guy he has already said if we want to change to a bigger/smaller lorry in time he will always take it back

Last edited:
Nice. :D
OH and I keep having discussion on downsizing our lorry as she is not comfortable driving it. This means I have to go everywhere she wants to take horses. Trouble is I love the space we have with current lorry, especially when doing stop over comps.

Congrats! You will be out & about everywhere this summer :)

ETA I was at Hickstead, I think I got some pictures of your boy (there were lots of greys in the class!) I must have got one of you somehow, will upload when I get home :)

Lovely lorry! :D:D Very jealous! :eek:

Expect it was cheaper because it isn't 3.5 tonne, when I have been looking the 3.5 tonne's seem to be going for vastly more than other 2 horses boxes.

Hope you have a lovely time in it, and show horse project appreciates it's fab new travel arrangements :p

Thanks joeyolop...didn't have the grey out this time but the new boy, 'Persian Bandit', tiny bay novice in a snaffle, went well apart from freaking out the first time he passed the stands as someone on a 17hh ran into the back of him.

We had been warned that the judge this year didn't like hack types..even Millimeter who was at Hoys didn't make the top nine!

Last edited:
Thanks joeyolop...didn't have the grey out this time but the new boy, 'Persian Bandit', tiny bay novice in a snaffle, went well apart from freaking out the first time he passed the stands as someone on a 17hh ran into the back of him.

We had been warned that the judge this year didn't like hack types..even Millimeter who was at Hoys didn't make the top nine!

In that case I wasnt looking for the right horse :eek:
What a shame, some of them sort of remembered there racing days when asked for the gallop, was quite exciting :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely, lovely little box - I would be madly jealous but I've but a deposit down on a Renault Master horsevan type thingy (no living area though) so I'm only a little bit jealous! I hope you have lots of nice journeys in it and lots of fun :)

It was a Renault Master that started all this off....just a rather expensive one that was about £40,000 and not actually available for several months.

Will report back on SFS latest project...'how quickly can you pass C test' ..going for the full one in case we ever need a large lorry. Aim is that she will drive this one on L plates with me until passing test, hopefully within 6 weeks. Doing training on 10tonner with a collegue of the instructor who got her through towing test with three hours instruction.

Last edited:
newrider.com