I think the calmer actually worked!

cookster1975

Jul 24, 2009
Bristol
Just thought I'd do a quick post to say I bought a liquid calmer yesterday and gave Bas his first dose (admittedly slightly over recommended amount) this morning. My friend said tonight "I don't know what was wrong with Basil at lunch time when I came down but he looked a bit chilled out! We went out on the other 2 and he couldn't have cared less".

Now considering he would normally be galloping backwards and forwards wringing his hooves until they came back, this is quite a momentous statement!

Nothing I've tried on him before has ever had any effect, so I'll keep going for the next few days and report back then! I think it's called Nature's Own "Settle".

It does have Valerian in it and also Camomile. I'll let you know the exact ingredients and name of it later.:D

Good to hear you have possibly found something that works. I tried 2 or 3 before I settled on straight MagOx but I know that doesnt work for all horses!

(Baaaaa :D xxx)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does work because otherwise I have to seriously consider whether I can keep him or not. I don't want to give up on him but have realised I need to consider my safety too, especially because I've got this neck/shoulder prob now.:rolleyes:

2438_sheep_in_love.gif
For Chops!xx

I went down and lunged Basil today for 20 minutes and he was a very good boy (he'd had 2 doses of the calmer yesterday).

Then I rode him out the gate (napping but giving in quite easily) and down the lane (more napping but again a bit half hearted), and with riding him on quite strongly - lots of leg, he was quite good. He didn't really rear, but then I had the harbridge on too. So I went about 50 yards, then circled, made him stand and went home. I did this a few times and he was quite good, so I left it there.

Tomorrow, I'll do the same thing but go a bit further. I gave him the calmer after I'd ridden, but tomorrow I'm giving it to him before, as this was him half an hour after he'd had it tonight. Check out the eyes!!

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

Yeaah man, groovy:cool:

Ha ha, he is away with the fairies bless him:)

Tetley was like that on the prokalm, could barely hold his head up:rolleyes: So glad ou have found something that seems to be working, keep us posted:)

newrider.com