I think this winter has been the final straw that broke the camel's back

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Did a lot of prep for winter, auto water in all the fields, lots of paddocks, tracks, mud control mats put down, and it is all trashed. I was trying to maintain weight loss on Suze and Fleur and the two young donkeys. This has been achieved but now they are on the yard eating hay and not exercising as much it is probably going to be reversed.

Fleur now has laminitis, she is very sore both fronts. So she is box resting on deep litter.

I have really had it.

I am going to rehome the young donkeys and if I can't keep Fleur right, then I will have her pts. I have tried for years to find her a home and nothing at all, I will continue to try to manage her as best I can, her weight is really good, she and Suze wintered out with no feeding at all, except when they were brought in when it was frosty.

We have more flood warnings this weekend and I just have had enough.

I really do feel for you. I sat down this morning half way through mucking out and just thought I’ve got 10 more years at least of this hell...
My life will begin at 50! I can’t wait not to be doing this day in day out.
And, just to add to the insult of the awfulness laminitis! Just why :(

Oh I feel for you, so much. I've only got one to manage in well drained fields, down south, where it's nowhere near as bad as the rest of the country, and it's getting me down, so no bloody wonder you feel you've had it. I really hope we get a spell of better weather for you and the fields to recover a bit. That said, I totally get that the thought of another winter like this is soul destroying. Let spring come, and have a think then - you need to consider your own well being, and base your decision on that. About time you gave yourself some of the tlc you've been giving your animals.

Lots of vibes. It’s awful feeling low when things are rough and bad enough coping with one problem let alone two. A bad combo of rotten weather and poorly horse - not nice. Sending good thoughts.

I really do feel for you. I sat down this morning half way through mucking out and just thought I’ve got 10 more years at least of this hell...

Will you definitely give up horses or go full livery?

It has been a long tough one I gave always said I can handle the cold but the constant rain is soul destroying. I have never seen the fields at my yard so bad and for the first time the YO had said no turn out over last weekend and alternate days during the week.

I hope it gets you

I am very sorry for all of you looking after your own horses. Even tho I have nothing to do with looking after the horses, and we are not flooded, this winter has gotten us down. Storms and strikes tempt us to stay unhealthilly at home.

Reactions: Huggy
I could do it easier when I was 50 I am 64

For therapy today, I walked the dogs in the mud, the flooding around here it dreadful, I have never seen it so bad. their walks are mainly under water at the moment. the damage to the arable land is terrible and one farm has their beef cattle in and the river is almost about to flood there and they have a huge shed full of tucked up on straw beautiful pedigree cattle, gorgeous beasts, I always admire them in the summer, and if it gets in there, they have nowhere else to put them. for therapy I spent 4 hours gardening in gale force winds until the sleet came on and I put the horses in. I split snowdrops and replanted them - instantly brightens up bare areas - and planted around 150 bulbs and about 90 perennials as Aldi were having a sale so put in loads of lupins, echinacea, red hot pokers , anything to bring a bit of colour. It was supposed to sleet all day today with strong winds, for a lot of the time -once I had of course turned Buddy out - it was bright and sunny! You don't know what to do. anyway, it was nice to do a bit in the garden for a change

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
I think you've been doing amazingly given all you've had thrown at you, dealing with lami on top of flooding must be soul destroying :( your council need a kick to get that drain sorted, it's not fair that their failure is having such a huge impact on you and your equids.
Our local aldi is closed for refurbishment or I'd be off for some of those to put in, I've been wanting echineacia.

I could do it easier when I was 50 I am 64
I get it! I'm 57 in June and am acutely aware that over the last 2-3 years I can feel my strength ebbing and my energy levels dipping. I do feel loads better since I started eating keto but the reality is that - as much as I hate to admit it - age is starting to catch up with me and it all feels a bigger physical effort for my body than it did a few years ago.

Last edited:
I get it! I'm 57 in June and am acutely aware that over the last 2-3 years I can feel my strength ebbing and my energy levels dipping. I do feel loads better since I started eating keto but the reality is that - as much as I gate to admit it - age is starting to catch up with me and it all feels a bigger physical effort for my body than it did a few years ago.

I still do an awful lot, but I think this year the combination of family illnesses and death, hassle working full time, the weather, I just feel tired. But had a good weekend riding, walking dogs, lunch out today, bit of gardening, just doing stuff that is more upbeat. On the down side, had to empty the car of all the stuff from my uncle's flat, the few things we wanted plus we got boxes of stuff that quite frankly can go straight to the charity shop as I don't want more clutter. Have kept one picture, one ornament, some photos, a couple of watches that may be worth putting a battery in and see if they work, and one xmas bauble. that's it.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
I was flagging two years ago, it was so draining trying to keep Ramsey going, and soul destroying when whatever I did, didn't seem to be helping. I got a new surge of energy when I got Hogan, and I think Ramsey benefited from my more positive outlook. I've lost family members over the last 2 years, and of course, Ramsey, and shallow though it sounds, Hogan has kept me upbeat. I get tired more than I used to, but that could be looking after a 2 year old, and two 6 year olds, 3 days a week, as well as the extra chores at the field since the YO has been doing less.

Reactions: Trewsers
Will you definitely give up horses or go full livery?
I won’t have a pile of high maintenance horses with not enough land/stables.
Mine are getting on now and won’t be replaced. I wouldn’t ever do full livery, I see no point in having a horse if I pay someone to look after items I do enjoy the looking after, but I’ve made life hard by keeping them all. One ridden (hopefully Ozzy!) and a companion will do me fine!

Reactions: Trewsers
I think it realistically is just taking each day as it comes, get through it and then get a good night's sleep so you can face the next. We have just a touch-and-go colic scenario and it was almost one thing too many. But here we are, still......

I think it realistically is just taking each day as it comes, get through it and then get a good night's sleep so you can face the next. We have just a touch-and-go colic scenario and it was almost one thing too many. But here we are, still......
Yes I've already had my colic and lost, and now my laminitis which is touch and go. I also have coronavirus to deal with as many of my orders are stuck in China with deadlines which may not be met, DPD continues to lose parcels as well. It's all fun.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com