I was riding bare back and felled off. I need your help?

Kate 05501

Oct 13, 2004
Garson, Ontario
Visit site
I just got on Robin and she jumped forward and turn fast and couldn't stay on. I went to go get her as she was tring to go back to the field. The gate was close. Robin doesn't live in the field anymore she is in the barn. But Robin still tries to go back. So I took her to the round pen and made her go in circles and come to me. Then I got my exboyfriend to walk her around and then I walk her around half way around the round pen on her. I also had her bridle on to give me better control then a halter when I was riding her.

How do I train Robin not to want to go to the other field were the other horses are? I thought with another horse she would easier for her and she would go were the other horse went. Nope. So this is not the only time she wanted to go back. I haven't ride with a saddle because I haven't had time. I think now she has it on her mine she would do the same thing. But for now I'm going to ride her bare back in the round pen until I can control her better. When I can ride with a saddle I will be in the round pen until she doesn't want to go in the other field. I have better control with the saddle.

So my question again how do Robin make her understand it's ok to be away from your friends and she will be fine? Is there any hope? Please help me? Would working in the round pen help? Thank you for your time. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Kate 05501 and the gang

When you say that Robin doesn't live in the field anymore but instead lives in the barn do you mean that Robin doesn't get turned out with other horses at this point in time?

I'm sorry, I don't entirely understand the question? Might just be Monday morning messing with my brain! :D :eek:
It seems like you're having a problem with her trying to run back to the field? It's completely natural for horses to want to stay with the group that they know and are turned out with. Separating her from her herd will worry her - in the wild horses who are alone are at risk of being picked off by predators. Groundwork, lungeing and longreining will improve your bond with her and she will learn that she can be safe with you.

I would suggest that when you ride, you take the time to tack up properly and ride in a saddle. It will give you a better chance of staying on board until you have nipped this problem in the bud. You say that you "don't have time" to ride with a saddle, which makes me feel that maybe your training sessions are a little rushed and that your horse doesn't completely understand what you want from her.

I hope some of this helps... I will probably come back to this in a couple of hours and realise that it's completely irrelevant to what you're asking :eek: :)

I'm with Julia Gulia on this. The horse wants to live in its herd in the field. Horses get very stressed lifving in unnatural conditions. Why can't she live with the herd ?

Robin use to live in the field but now she lives in the barn. She gets turn out with other horses. It's funny Robin wanted nothing to do with the field. Robin just wanted to be in the barn. Now she seems to want to go in the field. When she was in the field the other horses didn't really let her eat with them. Robin eat alone or with couple horse on a bail.

So I understand it was me and I cant control her and she knew it. So for now I will do bare back in the round pen and work on ground work too.

I work on Wed,Thurs,Fri,Sat. I am off the other days. I work with both horses. But we have cold winter with ice on the ground. So I have to train on the days that are nice. I try to do things on the bad days by brushing and bonding with both horses. I also it's hard to find another person to go with you. So I do the best I can.

I don't blame my little girl I need to work on my balance and control of her. I am learning and bonding with her. Robin is learning too.

What ground work can I do to work on the bond?

Kate 05501 and the gang

The sort of groundwork that will work for you, would be any of the sort of exercises that for example John Lyons, Clinton Anderson, Parelli - any of those sort of people do them. You work with the horse in the roundpen to start with, on a rope - like 12 ft long or so ... and you ask the horse to step his hindquarters away. Carry a stick as an extension of your arm, and you can tap her hip until she steps away. Work also on backing the horse out of 'your space'. Refine the backing up so you can get her to back up on a really soft cue. Send her out and round in a circle around you. Send her over tarps, over and through obstacles, over little jumps. All that sort of thing where you are focussing on the communication will help the two of you.

Why do you like riding bareback, btw ? I have one mare who I keep trying to ride barebakc, but she's so pushy, bolshy and obstinate sometimes, that I think she's just about to pull me right off her slippy round back ! So I usually give up. I've not had her long, and she's getting better, but for now, I like to have the saddle so that when I ask her to bend and be soft, I know I can back it up.

I like bare back riding to get balance!

I like bare back riding for balance. I also to teach me to use my legs more. Robin is also alittle skinny. When I got her she was skinny and has been puting on weight. But she still has to put more weight. Robin does pretty good in the round pen. Robin was fine until she started to be in the barn. I think staying in the barn and not getting as much excersize is making her alittle crazy. I put her put outside today for 2 hours. I am having bad snow storms today so all the horses didn't want to stay out. I am hoping to go to the barn and let her out again to get some excersize. We went to get some wood shavings for the stalls. It wasn't fun with the wind and the wood shaving getting in the eyes. I didn't have time today to do ground work in the round pen. I am hoping tormorrow. If the weather is nice.

Kate 05501

newrider.com