I went to view a horse today...

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
...and I'm a bit excited!

It wasn't a 'formal' viewing, rather a friend who knew I was looking said there was a horse that might be perfect for me at her livery yard. So she asked if she could take me out for a hack on him so I could just get a feel for him.

I didn't really know anything about this horse before I went, really only that he was15.2 and my friend liked him. So off we went! Took him out for a hack with my mate and he was good as gold. Took him into the school and a bit stiff and out of practice but he has obviously been well schooled in the past. I even took him into the xc field and popped him over 3 logs IN A ROW! Self confessed nervous nelly jumper here, so that is saying something!

So the only faults I can find (comparing him against my ideal) is he is a little older than I would like at 11, he has a naturally high head carriage so struggles with long and low and he seriously needs his teeth done so he has a bit mouthy & didn't seem to happy with his bit. But in general he seemed like the fun but safe horse I was looking for.

I need to go back and hack him alone and pop up some jumps in the school, but it's all looking promising :dance:

I bought Rubic when she was 10, 11 is nothing! You will still have plenty of riding years in him. Head carriage and bitting/teeth are both something that can be worked on and improved so I wouldn't worry about them as long as he passes a vetting.

Agree with the others.

At 11 he is still in his prime! 4 whole years before he becomes classed as a 'veteran' :wink: and if you felt safe enough jumping him on the first go, he sounds like a winner to me. :smile:

Head carriage, teeth etc. can be sorted.

There was one thing I forgot about in my excitement. He holds his tail to the right when ridden.

Now I will most definitely get the horse 5 stage vetted before buying, but this habit is making me think I should get a back person to see him too. Has anybody got any experience of this?

Riden wise he was absolutely fine on our hack, but he was noticibly stiff on his left rein in the school. We did carrot stretches with him and he is very flexible through his neck no problems there, also had a play about with his tail when he was standing (no tack), it's very mobile, there was no flinching/tensing when I moved it around.

A bit of googling tells me it can be a sign of back/pelvic issues, but a lot of people also say it's just a habit and is more common in arabs (he is passported as apaloosa x arab, though I would say there is Welsh in there).

Never mind 11 isnt old for a first horse, it isnt old for a second horse, or a last horse either!:unsure:

Dolly was 10 when I bought her and to my mind that is a perfect age, almost always what you see is what you get with this age group. Unless of course its an unscrupulous seller or dealer, in which case any age might not be right if you remove the drugs and dehydration!

I am sure the minor points you have picked up on can be ironed out, good luck - he sounds lovely.:smile:

There was one thing I forgot about in my excitement. He holds his tail to the right when ridden.

Now I will most definitely get the horse 5 stage vetted before buying, but this habit is making me think I should get a back person to see him too. Has anybody got any experience of this?

Riden wise he was absolutely fine on our hack, but he was noticibly stiff on his left rein in the school. We did carrot stretches with him and he is very flexible through his neck no problems there, also had a play about with his tail when he was standing (no tack), it's very mobile, there was no flinching/tensing when I moved it around.

A bit of googling tells me it can be a sign of back/pelvic issues, but a lot of people also say it's just a habit and is more common in arabs (he is passported as apaloosa x arab, though I would say there is Welsh in there).

I can give you the contact details for my friend who is a qualified vet physio and has honestly done wonders with Rubic. She is lovely and is actually living out in Edinburgh just now (she is originally from Arran and studied in Glasgow so comes to see me when she is over this way). I cannot get over the difference in Rubic in as little as 2 weeks and would definitely recommend her. Rubic has gone from going round the school feeling quite stiff and with her head very fixed to working long and low on the lunge and her suppleness has improved greatly too!

I can give you the contact details for my friend who is a qualified vet physio and has honestly done wonders with Rubic. She is lovely and is actually living out in Edinburgh just now (she is originally from Arran and studied in Glasgow so comes to see me when she is over this way). I cannot get over the difference in Rubic in as little as 2 weeks and would definitely recommend her. Rubic has gone from going round the school feeling quite stiff and with her head very fixed to working long and low on the lunge and her suppleness has improved greatly too!

That would be great thanks, I know of a girl who does McTimony already so I will ask her, but if she can't do it, it would be good to have someone else to call.

11.. nahh thats nothing ! We had a 23yr old competing at the HDT nationals !

Sounds like he needs a good MOT! My supercob once in a life cob! used to hold his tail to the right. After extensive checks by a variety of people nothing was ever found ! but yes best to check to be safe.

I would say a vetting is defo in order for this horse though considering its owner hasnt seemed to of attended to even the basics.

Good Luck :) it means alot to get on a horse and feel safe and secure... enougth to bring out confidence, I know what you mean!

Does seem cheap for a good safe horse - given that's what everyone is looking for - but maybe it's just that his owner needs a quick sale, or because he's out of condition? Do you know anything about the seller?

Ask to catch him from the field, tack him up, all that stuff, although if your friend's already on the same yard and sees him all the time, that's a pretty good recommendation (if you trust her!).

He is one of the YO's horses, apparently she buys new ones all the time so horses are continually going in and out of favour. Apparently she is getting rid of some the 'out of favour' older horses to make way for a new batch from Ireland. He hasn't done much at all for the last 3 years.

I didn't catch him from the field, but I did see him groomed and tacked up, I ran my hands all over him, picked up his feet, poked prodded, played with his tail etc, we then went for about an hours hack in walk/trot/canter, just me and my friend on a route she chose so there was no 'false environment', we swapped horses so I could see his paces, we passed people, deer, cows, cattle feeders, we didn't hack on a busy road but a couple of cars passed us on narrow tracks and he was fine, we crossed a bridge over the motorway and he was fine (I was petrified!), we passed a young horse having a hooly and he didn't care, I made him stop while my friend trotted on and I trotted past as she stopped and he was fine, we tried to make him spook but only got a skitter, nothing major. When we got back I purposely left my mate and her horse to go into the school and he didn't care. He was a bit stiff, particularly on the left rein, couldn't get left bend, but transitions were nice and clean and he has leg yeilding established. I am sure he has done more and with some lessons and playing about will bring it out. Then hacked him up to the jumping field the girl who is getting him back into work for selling jumped him, jumped the tyres on an angle to give him a chance to run out but he was fine, then my friend got on who is similar to me in that she can get a little nervous on new horses but has more jumping experience than me and she loved him, jumped jumps that she wouldn't do on her own horse, then I got on and although riding like a total nervous idiot he went really nicely, didn't rush into the jump.

Took him back untacked, brushed him down again, hosed his legs (no reaction), walked him round the yard in hand, left him tied up for a while to make sure he would stand happily, did some carrot stretches, then chucked a rug on and chucked him back out again.

Behaviour and temprement wise I can't fault him.

I'm going to go back for a second viewing where I will ask to catch him from the field, hack him alone and jump some jumps in the school with scary fillers. Do you think I should ask the seller if I can bring a back person along with me?

He is one of the YO's horses, apparently she buys new ones all the time so horses are continually going in and out of favour. Apparently she is getting rid of some the 'out of favour' older horses to make way for a new batch from Ireland. He hasn't done much at all for the last 3 years.

I didn't catch him from the field, but I did see him groomed and tacked up, I ran my hands all over him, picked up his feet, poked prodded, played with his tail etc, we then went for about an hours hack in walk/trot/canter, just me and my friend on a route she chose so there was no 'false environment', we swapped horses so I could see his paces, we passed people, deer, cows, cattle feeders, we didn't hack on a busy road but a couple of cars passed us on narrow tracks and he was fine, we crossed a bridge over the motorway and he was fine (I was petrified!), we passed a young horse having a hooly and he didn't care, I made him stop while my friend trotted on and I trotted past as she stopped and he was fine, we tried to make him spook but only got a skitter, nothing major. When we got back I purposely left my mate and her horse to go into the school and he didn't care. He was a bit stiff, particularly on the left rein, couldn't get left bend, but transitions were nice and clean and he has leg yeilding established. I am sure he has done more and with some lessons and playing about will bring it out. Then hacked him up to the jumping field the girl who is getting him back into work for selling jumped him, jumped the tyres on an angle to give him a chance to run out but he was fine, then my friend got on who is similar to me in that she can get a little nervous on new horses but has more jumping experience than me and she loved him, jumped jumps that she wouldn't do on her own horse, then I got on and although riding like a total nervous idiot he went really nicely, didn't rush into the jump.

Took him back untacked, brushed him down again, hosed his legs (no reaction), walked him round the yard in hand, left him tied up for a while to make sure he would stand happily, did some carrot stretches, then chucked a rug on and chucked him back out again.

I'm going to go back for a second viewing where I will ask to catch him from the field, hack him alone and jump some jumps in the school with scary fillers. Do you think I should ask the seller if I can bring a back person along with me?

He sounds fab :biggrin:

Yes, I'd speak to owner and ask if you can bring a professional along to have a look at his back because you are a little concerned about his tail carriage and perhaps his stiffness on one rein too. Personally I'd have him looked at but not treated (until you buy him) if owner and professional will agree to do that. I imagine you'll have to pay for him to be looked at but it won't be as expensive as a full treatment. Perhaps you could get it done at the same time as a vetting if you decide you want to buy him?

Yes, why not? She knows you're only buying on condition that the horse passes a 5 stage vetting anyway, which is fair enough.

He sounds great! My mare is from Ireland and apparently it's quite common that horses are really only schooled on one rein, because they're broken and sold on so quickly - mine can't get the right canter strike-off on the left rein, although gets it fine on the other. She's not been schooled much at all actually but she's so willing and picking it up really quickly, and she's 10, so the old saying isn't true and you can teach an old dog (OK, youngish horse) new tricks!

I have got a friend who got a horse for nowt its 19 and is an absolute spark cant fault it at all, so age is not that important its soundness and of course it depends what you are going to do with it. Teeth can be fixed usually. I am sure you will improve it with schooling if that what you are into. I wouldnt be put of with an 11 year old its just coming into its own.

well I may be a mug but just been to see a 15 year old and believe she could have a good 10 years ahead.

if they get to that age sound, then they generally stay sound

Yes, why not? She knows you're only buying on condition that the horse passes a 5 stage vetting anyway, which is fair enough.

He sounds great! My mare is from Ireland and apparently it's quite common that horses are really only schooled on one rein, because they're broken and sold on so quickly - mine can't get the right canter strike-off on the left rein, although gets it fine on the other. She's not been schooled much at all actually but she's so willing and picking it up really quickly, and she's 10, so the old saying isn't true and you can teach an old dog (OK, youngish horse) new tricks!

Sorry but just wanted to say, that it is not common for them to school on one rein, I do not know anyone who has broken in a youngster on just one rein!! Even our green broke babies we get can go both ways in an arena without a bother!!

Laura if he passes a full MOT and you're happy with him then that's fab news :)

newrider.com