I would love some ideas please

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
on how to make my 2nd hand dilapidated shelter ( Highland Proof) it is there for Sweep and possible Belle our ancient Highland pony.... if I can make it Highland proof..... When Melody rubs on it it make me realise how fragile it is lol

SO how can I make it better so both my older ponies can share the shelter together. Its 14 by 12. And here is a pic so you can see how dilapidated it is lol. Its the only shelter I can afford and it has to last for a few years yet till I can save for a newer one.

12007199_1060140734005696_813447686_n.jpg

Last edited:
You need some diagonals - squares aren’t as strong as triangles. Some timber that you can use to create triangles would help make it more sturdy.

Yep making triangles will help loads, putting a brace across the corner of the door (about 1ft in so it doesn't effect use) and bigger full cross braces on the back walls will help loads.

I thought I would come back and add some pictures, you can see the full wall cross brace here
a cross brace.PNG
And a corner brace in a door way here
a cross brace 2.PNG
You really don't need to cut your wood at the angle to match it perfectly (that's just the prettier way of doing it) you can just overlap the main upright or cross member. You are definitely better off fixing the ends with screws though, nails just pull out and you will need at least 3 screws at each end to prevent the twisting.

newrider.com