I'm so unbelievably excited

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Because I just found out that my barn has existing mains power!

When I moved in I knew the owner had lived and worked out of there before but when I asked the son I was told it had been disconnected permanently and when I asked a power company it would be thousands to put it back in so I gave up.

Then last week I got a meter reading card left on the gate, phoned them and they said no record, but get the meter serial number and try again. I hunted and eventually found it and still no record, phoned UK Power networks who also couldn't find it so I was ready to give up again. But just telling my friend about it I remembered there is 2 post codes (no clue why), went on the website and put the other one in and hey presto it comes up and it's still connected :D
I'm itching to call tomorrow to see what I have to do to get it back in use, hopefully this will mean the end to Dan's escapes, and to the kids getting in :D super zap electric fence here we come! and proper lights, a kettle (that works when it's cold out) and maybe even live camera surveillance :D best Christmas present ever! :p

Thats great news. It seems very odd that the meter reader has it on the records to read yet they have no record on the system. Mind it could be one of those cases the left hand doesnt know from the right. They could come after you for any back payment, or for a reconnction charge if it isnt live.

Thats great news. It seems very odd that the meter reader has it on the records to read yet they have no record on the system. Mind it could be one of those cases the left hand doesnt know from the right. They could come after you for any back payment, or for a reconnction charge if it isnt live.
The meter isn't actually turning, and hopefully the landlord did tell them when the property became unoccupied so there isn't any back standing charges. There could be a reconnection charge, if it isn't silly I don't mind that but I'm not paying 100's for them to flick a switch, so will have to wait and see what they say later this morning :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
That sounds great.
It's amazing how a cuppa brightens your day. I often make a cuppa and just watch them-ok a flask.
You can do soup and toast if you get a little toaster.

I would be surprised with the companies initial " it will cost thousands to put back in "it costs thousands to put it in - in the beginning. So I would be shocked if it then got dug up!

That sounds great.
It's amazing how a cuppa brightens your day. I often make a cuppa and just watch them-ok a flask.
You can do soup and toast if you get a little toaster.

I would be surprised with the companies initial " it will cost thousands to put back in "it costs thousands to put it in - in the beginning. So I would be shocked if it then got dug up!
All the connections on our side of the road are overhead cables, and as there wasn't one to my property the person on the phone said, given the landlords son said it had been disconnected, it must have been physically removed and would therefore be treated as a new install. But it appears the power was only installed in 2002 and they must have done it under ground, all the ones with overhead power are much older houses.

I spoke with the power company, no reconnection fee as the power is still connected :) I'm waiting for a call back re getting the account switched to my name, they needed to see my tenancy agreement so I had to email it over. I am really hoping they don't nail me with charges for the last 2.5 years since I moved on there but the guy on the phone said he could see the current meter reading is exactly the same as the last one from years ago so can see it has not been used at all, so hopefully not.....I'm crossing everything as will be really mad if I am going to be charged for power I could have been using but not been able to as didn't know it was there :cool:

I can feel your excitement from here @Jessey I'm super happy for you.
They shouldn't charge you a penny in back charges as you've shown from your tenancy agreement the date you moved, I wouldn't worry about that, right so now you can have a cuppa at the yard when are we all coming down for a tea party? :)

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
great news but don't want to burst your bubble.....super zap main electric on electric fence which we have is still vulnerable....
Not invulnerable, but much more reliable and I would buy one of the new Voss units that delivers double the whack ;) I'm sure the reason Hank hardly ever touches a fence was his first 3 or 4 years with me I had mains electric and he learnt the hard way.

I can feel your excitement from here @Jessey I'm super happy for you.
They shouldn't charge you a penny in back charges as you've shown from your tenancy agreement the date you moved, I wouldn't worry about that, right so now you can have a cuppa at the yard when are we all coming down for a tea party? :)
The tenancy started in June 2017, I have been there 2.5 years. I know they cannot charge me before then but technically they could charge me any standing charges since then if the landlord didn't 'put it to bed' properly when they moved off, I would obviously fight this tooth and nail but as my tenancy says I am responsible for any service charges to the property I doubt I could get out of it.
I do have a kettle now but when it's cold the gas condenses and it can take an hour to boil the kettle! o_O

You get charged for what you use, not for what you might have used.
Overhead cables were put underground locally here, in fact we still have some wooden whats names. I actually thought those were telephone lines.

Not invulnerable, but much more reliable and I would buy one of the new Voss units that delivers double the whack ;) I'm sure the reason Hank hardly ever touches a fence was his first 3 or 4 years with me I had mains electric and he learnt the hard way.

The tenancy started in June 2017, I have been there 2.5 years. I know they cannot charge me before then but technically they could charge me any standing charges since then if the landlord didn't 'put it to bed' properly when they moved off, I would obviously fight this tooth and nail but as my tenancy says I am responsible for any service charges to the property I doubt I could get out of it.
I do have a kettle now but when it's cold the gas condenses and it can take an hour to boil the kettle! o_O
I'd wait an hour for a decent coffee at our yard lol

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
You get charged for what you use, not for what you might have used.
Overhead cables were put underground locally here, in fact we still have some wooden whats names. I actually thought those were telephone lines.
We still have wooden pylons, I have one in the middle of the field :)

You actually get charged a daily 'standing charge' on 99% of tariffs, that is what they were trying to charge me, I stomped my feet a little, said no way in hell was I paying back charges and I would take on no account at all with them if they tried, they have agreed to waive them :)

I now have power, even if it has taken me almost 5 hours of phone calls today bouncing from 1 team to the next, good job I wasn't busy at work today :D

Yay! So nice to be able to have mains fencing and hot water easily when its needed. I guess you will be having some lights too!

Reactions: Jessey
That's awesome :)

Enjoy your cup of tea whilst watching Hank trying to figure out the new fencing .... :D

• Haha
Well that's just wonderful news! Fencing, lights, kettle, clippers..... you won't know yourself!!

I wouldn't take on an account to be charged for something that the previous people owed either!
Blooming cheek.

I went on a hack looking for telegraph poles. Found some. :)

newrider.com