Impaction colic vibes please!

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
We think Bailey has impaction colic, probably from the stress of moving, new lush grass, I don't really know. Only 2 poos overnight on Tuesday morning, I gave him a mash last night and walked him round a lot. This morning only 1, vets coming out this afternoon. He's been going out in the day as usual to keep him in routine and keep him moving. Seems fine in himself, maybe a little quiet but no gut sounds, stomach kicking, sweating or looking uncomfortable but obviously something not right if that's all he's passed in 12 hours.
Does anyone have any experience of impaction colic?

No experience either but Ales had gas colic and that was scary enough. Lots of vibes coming to you soon that he clears it shortly or the vet can give him something that helps.

Thank you @Kite_Rider and @Ale I've never had a horse get colic before so I don't know what to do/expect really. Other than things I've picked up from working on yards. Dreading what he's going to be like for the vet as he's not the best patient, hopefully they'll get him moving, going to lunge him too. I've had him 8 years and he's never showed any signs of colic before so I hope it's not linked to anything else.

yes Chanter had it years ago and another horse at my yard had it last week.

RVC vets kept him moving on the lunge gentle working etc.

Both horses are fine

Fingers crossed for a quick result

Jess impacted a couple of times, but from scoffing too much hay when she suddenly had unrestricted access. When she had sand colic and was rushed to horsepital to a waiting surgery team they told me something like 90% of cases begin to resolve with transportation (as hers did), they thought due to the jiggling about and anxiety (which gets the gut working in overdrive) and that lunging at an easy trot is also very effective at getting things going, so when she ate too much hay I lunged her and it did the trick.

Vet been, couldn't do rectal exam as can't sedate him unless absolutely necessary because he's so bad for the vet. Heart and temperature good. Gut noises sound normal, given me some docusol and told me to add salt to his feed. Think the sloppy mash helped this morning as there was muck in stable which he must have done after I left at 6.45 and before he gets turned out at 7am and he seemed more himself this afternoon . Vet said if he doesn't seem right later to call back and he'd come out again but because of how vet shy he is play by ear for now. But he did another poo not long after the vet went so hopefully he'll be OK and his digestive system is clearing itself. Maybe he heard he'd have to be sedated if he didn't improve lol.
Thanks for the vibes, fingers crossed he's OK. I've never been so pleased to see horse muck before!

newrider.com