Insurance for a youngster

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
So Charlie is being travelled down to me on 24 July. I think I should insure him, as a 4 hour journey must be fairly risky even for a calm youngster.

I asked NFU for a quote and they said shamefacedly that they were "not a budget option" and quoted me £75 per month!!!

A couple of Internet quotes suggest £25 - £30 per month is more like it for a baby horse.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

"coughs" to get that / any quote down you insure them for less. It's a hard fact that the insurance company will rarely pay out what you or I paid initially. The market is forever changing and the value will make your premuims higher.
What is a pet to us and worth xxxx because it's safe in traffic isn't to the insurance company.

I actually haven't increased the cobs value. They queried this once, but I said we just hack. I doubt if I have increased her value to be worth thousands.

I reduced Ben’s value too and also went through the policy and removed everything I didn’t need. I am a member of the BHS so don’t need public liability etc. Plus I removed tack insurance and loss of use. This made a huge impact on the bill.

I would expect to be paying around £60 per month for any decent insurance. Any cheaper and I would question their payout ability. I am with Petplan and had serious issues getting any money out of them and they are supposed to have a good reputation. My vets recommended NFU and say they are the only decent company out there.

Remember that insurance doesn’t start until 14 days after you take the policy out. So you wouldn’t be covered for the journey to get him home.

I'm with KBIS i only have Comet insured for £500 but vets bills for £5000. Insured my tack and have public liability, legal help, disposal etc. £35 a month.

Usually the 14 days is for illness as 14 days is a general incubation period for alot of them, accident and injury generally are insured from day 1 but do check any policies you look at.

Last edited:
I've been with SEIB for donkeys years and have claimed a bunch from them over the years and never had a problem or felt them unreasonable (like they were upfront on the mri for jess and said they would OK it to be done but if anything came back re lami in the results then they wouldn't pay out so it was my decision if I wanted to risk being stuck with the bill, but at least they told me upfront), they paid out for my tack when it was pinched, for Bo when he was put down and probably another £20k in vets bills over the years. When Jess was lame I reduced her value, my cover is now about £35 a month (basics plus vet bills) but I do 3rd party elsewhere as it works out better with the boys.
I still won't touch anything to do with e&l, and they have a couple of other companies now to hide their name, I would just say always read the small print to check that and check who the underwriters are.

"Emporium" are a common provider on the cheap insurance.

@Mary Poppins , several providers have told me that he's covered for travel straight away, but illness not for 14 days.

I will try PetPlan and SEIB. Thanks all!

Just had a look at Petplan, £40/month, and SEIB, £34/month but require a 5* vetting (but say they may not need it?) - I'm going to call tomorrow to clarify the vetting stuff.

You can’t get a five stage on a youngster as five stage requires the horse to be ridden.

I insured Eddie as he is in a herd and they can be quite harsh on him.

I am with horse insurance £20 per month covered £5000 vet fees and third liability he is insured for the amount I paid I will never increase this amount but will decrease over years.

My company expects you to use a farrier and not Barefoot trimmers, plus be vaccinated.
I haven't had any issues with them, and my vet recommend them and in some circumstances only agree to treat the horse if you have insurance- that's due to the non payers running up thousands of pounds worth of bills.

Some companies won't insure you if you have made a claim in the last three years and yes some want a vetting.
Mine was vetted for my own piece of mind. I think it was stage 2 and I think she was lunged briefly.

newrider.com