Is anyone on here a serious rider...?

I wish I was. But don't have the $$ to buy the horse or anything else associated with being 'serious'.

I class a serious rider as someone who wants to move up the ranks to the highest of their ability. No need to get affended, everyone has different opinions.

Totally - everyone has their opinion, I would consider my best mate to be a serious rider, she's worked all over Europe on BIG SJ yards, but has never once entered a competition, she just doesn't want to. I would definately consider her to be a serious rider though even though she doesn't compete, she works with her horse to do everything you would expect of elementary level tests and higher but doesn't want to compete!

I'd love to be a serious rider but the problem lies with transport for me. I pretty much have the horse, he's fantastic and with a few more months together hopefully we'll get somewhere (of course he needs to come sound first!)

I think if I had of been more jumping orientated from the minute I bought my 14.2 we could of got somewhere, she has a heart of gold and always gives everything. I also got too tall for her :eek:

I have nothing but awe and respect for anybody who competes - being as I can't even manage a hack some days!!! lol, I'd have more chance of winning the lottery than getting either of ours to a competition - never mind actually taking part! Good job I'm not bothered then isn't it?! I love reading about people's experience on here - and in horse magazines, they are sometimes very inspiring. And, I do pretend to be a "proper" rider now and again (mainly out on hacks when madam acts up!!!!!). I also find it interesting to read about the different attitudes involved - ie, whatever discipline people do with their horses - and how they treat them and what they expect from them. All good stuff!!

Ah that's an easy one to answer.

Riding for me isn't a sport and never will be. Therefore there aren't any levels. If I did do local level shows it would be for fun.

If ambling about the countryside looking over hedges at property I can't afford mixed in with the odd bit of fast and furious is a sport then watch out London 2012! :p :p

As it stands though I haven't watched any of the equestrian sports in the olympics and wouldn't have a clue who anyone is!

I'm just not interested. Riding and horses is about me chilling with my horse and forgetting about the pressures of life. Competing is a pressure so this wouldn't fit in.

here, here!!

So are we up for getting an olympic team together for 2012 then??!:p;):D

Maybe the original question needed to be: "Is anyone a serious competitive rider?" then.:p
Dont think anyone should feel offended though, each to his own as they say. I dont really relate to the competitive side at all, but I do want to be "as good as I can".:)

I love any kind of show. I complete at the lowest level possible (RS shows mainly) but I absolutely love it. I love getting ready, I hate being nervous but this pushes me to perform to my very best. I love the satisfaction I feel when I have finished my round and I am thrilled to get a rossette. I would compete every weekend if I could.

I'm not a "serious" rider. I go to lessons every week and i just enjoy that. TBH if i had a horse and i could ride more often then i would probably go and do a few small competitions but just for the experience not so much because i want to get to the top - i need to be honest with myself i don't think i've quite got the guts (or anywhere near the money required). Just getting a horse is my goal and it wouldn't really matter what i could/couldn't do with him/her!

Debbie x

Like many, I just don't have the resources. I do believe talent plays a part, of course it does, but with horses money and land is a biggie too! If we'd had money and wealth when I started riding at 8 maybe I could have gone somewhere with it, but even if I won the lottery now I'm pretty sure it'd already be too late for me to reach high high levels competing.

The grand daughters of the stud/riding schools owner in NL where I learnt to ride were (last I heard which is a few years ago) aiming for the junior Olympics or something like that, national competitors. But then they did have the very best of the best of Dutch showjumping stallions and his offspring at their disposal and started riding at a very early age, got into serious competition as small kids.

Well I had a dream of one day riding at Olympia and so far have not got very far!

have now got a pony and he is a registered native but is as far I have got and likely to get as I don't have transport and he does not stable so can't go to shows that require overnight stays but luckily as we are in herts if he did qualify for Olympia he would not have to stay overnight as it is near.

After having him a year I have hired a horsebox to take us to our first M&M class on Sat - one unaffiliated and one affiliated. TBH even if we come last (which is quite likely as I have been very lazy and just been hacking him instead of schooling him as that has been so much fun) I won't mind it is just about going out and doing something different now rather than be worldbeaters. Since I have had him I have felt slightly less competitive as I am enjoying just plodding about as we both a bit lazy. I seem to have acquired a 6 year old going on 60 lots of people think he must be ancient as he is such a sleepy relaxed chap.

I think to be really serious then you need to put loads of time and effort and often money into your choosen disipline which I don't!

Once upon a time i was...

I reppresented England in Eventing as a Junior and managed to get my current 14.2 pony qualified for the Senior Foxhunter second rounds (didnt take him as it was just too big IMO) and used to jump BSJA weekly during the winter. I always prefered the showjumping but we were more successful in the eventing.

I wouldnt say i was overly competitive, i ALWAYS competed for the sheer love of it and as long as i had a nice clear round (or only a silly mistake) i was more than happy, a win was just a bonus. I only managed to do as well as i did as my pony was just outstanding and i was very very lucky.

When i was competing like that i did have the dreams of doing it as a career, but sadly a car crash put an end to that as i lost most of my kneecap (shattered it would be more accurate :( ) and so i cant jump like i used to as my knee is just agony if i do too much... Still, i consider myself lucky to even be able to ride, the doctors thought i would never walk!!!! So i am more than happy to just enjoy my horses and have a nice hack and hopefully do some small stuff with Una in a few years time.. But i wont ever be able to compete at the same level :)

newrider.com