Is it fair to "stable swap" at weekends?

Harlequin32

Feb 20, 2008
My horse lives in at night and in bad weather on shavings.
My daughters pony lives out all year round- however she actually likes mucking out etc and our y/o has said as there is an unused stable we can use it on the weekend to bring her in a few nights.
I would put straw in the second stable as cant really afford 2 on shavings even tho one will only be twice a week (also if paying livery comes along i will have to give it back) but she has a dust allergy type complaint.
Would it be ok to put my horse in the other stable on the nights she is in as he dosent have a allergy and put the pony in his shavings and rubber matting stable?
Or is this unfair on my horse- I sometimes put him in the empty stable while i muck out and he dosent mind but will he be bothered by a mare having been in his bed???!!;)

at my old yard we used to swap stables all the time, my pony had it on the week nights when he was in lessons and it was too late to turn him out in the dark down the road so we turned him out on the weekends and let one of the old ones have his bed.
they were fine :D

Brilliant! just what i wanted to hear :D
And i guess if it does cause problems i can just stop quickly (my boy is a little um randy):rolleyes:

My friend and I have swapped stables a couple of times for various reasons and the horses haven't been the least bit bothered. I can't see you'll have a problem.

Ours swap all the time and don't care at all - a friends horse is so stressed if his routine is broken he has to have his own......... yesterday he went into one of 'my' stables whilst the electricians fixed a light over his and when I went to move him back he RAN down to his and straight in all panicky because he'd been in the wrong one!

I think it depends on the horse.

newrider.com