Is it me or is this gelding chained up?

candyflosspot

bossy boots
Sep 7, 2010
Sheffield
16hh Welsh Section D. Bred in Anglesey. Called Bricknell Eyecatcher aka Rocky. This horse is 11 years old. This is a true commercial cob that has done numerous weddings, at least 2 funerals and has worked in the city centre on the streets of Bath for 31/2 years as a taxi horse both singly and in a pair.
He is also schooled for riding and is very safe in company or in the country.
This is a sad sale due to a change of career and closure of the taxi business. When the business was closed 2 years ago I sold three of my horses straight away but kept the best two. Unfortunately I have to sell now.

http://www.dragondriving.co.uk/horsesforsale.php?pageNum_CartRecord=15

:unsure:

Last edited:
it's a tether, very common amongst gypsies/travellers but I don't know how accepted it is for others really, but I don't think it hurts them in any way

Yup, he is chained on a tether.

The horse has to be trained how to work it, but it is common. It's safe when there is no fencing and (so they say) good for restricting grazing.

You often see "Works a tether" on DD adverts.

Tethering is fine if it's done properly. The horse's tether should be comfortable, and loose enough not to cause pressure sores etc - and of course they should have access to food, water and shade.

We tethered our horses a lot in Portugal. That way, when a patch of grass sprang up we could move a horse there on a tether to eat it up, without having to move an entire fence. We also had a pony stallion on a tether during the day for several weeks, he kept getting out of paddocks so tethering him was highly preferable to keeping him in a stable 24/7.

What's with the foot fall on the other picture?

When would a horse have both left feet on the floor but both right in the air? Going through all the paces I can't see when this would be normal.... Although I guess at a particular moment in walk I guess it could be? :unsure:

When would a horse have both left feet on the floor but both right in the air? Going through all the paces I can't see when this would be normal.... Although I guess at a particular moment in walk I guess it could be? :unsure:

I wondered the same. It is a trot i would think looking at the high leg, and the photo of the horse below. At a guess the horse has a back or pelvic issue or just not using itself correctly and stepping under, high head. There is a noticeable dip in front of the wither.

Don't know which pic you are referring to but is it pacing, ie front and rear right moving forward together and then front and rear left? Trotting horses move like this so they can extend for more speed without overreaching.

Hobbling, Candyfloss, is when their front and/or hinds are tied together to limit movement and prevent straying. Horrible IMHO :(

images.jpg

He doesn't look too unhappy, though the top of his tail looks like it might be rubbed and he is swishing at flies.

I was staring at his legs looking to see if he is pacing (I think not, I think it is easy to be confused because of the white on both front legs?) Anyway, I am not sure both pictures show the same horse? Very similar, but the near fore leg markings look different? Also, hard to tell, but the driven horse seems not to have a white muzzle, and to have a finer head? Chestnut with four white legs is a common colouring...:unsure:

BTW hobbling is VILE:stomp: It should be illegal :stomp:

Don't know which pic you are referring to but is it pacing, ie front and rear right moving forward together and then front and rear left? Trotting horses move like this so they can extend for more speed without overreaching.

Could well be - sounds like it would look very odd but seems to match what's happening in the photo!

The poor thing looks miserable as sin, and look at that tail!

I don't think it's the same horse - that was my first thought when I found the ad. The markings look different to me!

Now I'm distracted by the dun Belgian Draught X that's just appeared at the top of the page :eek:

Sweeties to though who spotted it is not the same horse.

Just had to relook, the inside fore has more white on the second pic, and the off fore looks like the white extends to include the knee.

Whether this is pacing or not, the back end is not in conversation with the front, very stiff looking gait, front looks like trotting back looks like walking, although i think even for walking they step under more than that?

newrider.com